Chapter Four

Sawyer

Two offers in just a matter of minutes. Well one legit offer from a really sweet guy, and a pity escape offer from Beau. Beau who I'm just starting to realize is very handsome, even more than before. I can see his chiseled chest under his tight grey t-shirt. The defined muscles in his arms flexing in anticipation of my answer. Damn, he's so beautiful. I look deep into those blue eyes wondering if he feels the attraction like I do. Then he says "Go with me instead." My breath catches in my throat. "You know as friends, no pressure. I'll be the perfect gentleman and you won't have to worry about anything but having a good time."

Dammit. Maybe it is just me. Get it together Thompson, you've never cared before. I should say yes to avoid an awkward night with Zeek. But, the way Beau is making me feel right now maybe Zeek would be the better choice.

"Let me think about it Beau. It might be time I finally do this. I usually don't give a shit what others think, but the gay comment kinda got to me. Do people really think I don't like guys?" I'm not sure Beau is the person I should be asking, he's so kind and I'm not sure how honest he will be. People have been sugar coating everything since I lost my momma last year. I feel like I'm in a bubble of my own most of the time. I'm not some delicate flower like Lucy and Luke think I am. They don't think I've noticed the change in how they treat me, but I have.

"Take all the time you need babes. Can I atleast walk you to class?" My heart flutters at the term of endearment. Heat radiates from my face.

"I'd like that Beau." What is happening right now. Where the hell is Lucy?! How could she let me get in over my head. ALright, calm down Thompson. It's just a walk to class not a marriage proposal. Beau and I have walked to class before, but this time feels different. I'm more aware of his movements and how good his butt looks in those jeans. How sexy he looks running his fingers through his tousled golden locks. I was so busy watching Beau I hadn't realized Lucy had made her way to our table in the classroom.

"Look at that ass." Lucy swoons. She's the opposite of me. She's dated plenty of guys from our school and the neighboring ones too. She's so open and wild. I'm sure that if it wasn't for us being friends since we were 6 we wouldn't be friends now. '"Hello, are you in there Sawyer?!" She waves her hands in my face.

"Shit! Did anyone else notice?" Lucy grins at me.

"Notice what?" Beau's standing in front of me with a quizzical smirk.

"Oh, nothing. Just Sawyer ravishing you with her eyes." Lucy says with a you're so busted smile. I cannot believe she just outed me!

"I was not! I was looking for Sarah and Julie. They're late and if Julie gets one more tardy it's a detention. Meaning no fall formal for her and a our weekend plans will be ruined." Bonfires at the Breene's is my usual excuse to stay away from home. I usually spend the whole weekend floating from Lucy's for Friday dinner to Julie's on Saturday for the infamous bonfire and finally ending at Sarah's for breakfast on Sundays. If Julie is grounded that puts a major kink in my plans.

"My my, Ms.Thompson I'm so flattered." Beau winks and gives me his brightest smile followed by a low seductive chuckle. "You should take me up on that offer, that way you wouldn't have to admire from afar." With that Beau walked to his seat not waiting for a response. I hear Sarah and Julie's giggling behind me. Lucy looks at me with a huge ear to ear grin. Almost like a dare. My body feels hot, I'm certain my face is beat red. Did Beau Whitmore just openly and intentionally flirt with me?

I stayed silent throughout class. I was deep in thought about the events in the cafeteria that seemed to have sparked a domino effect. So deep that I didn't hear the bell ring or Lucy asking if I wanted to ditch study hall. "Girl, what is wrong with you? You've been so out of it since Zeek made that huge spectacle to ask you out. I've never seen you like this." I can tell she's concerned but I brush it off.

"I'm fine. I've got a lot do after school with Luke coming home and all. Gotta make sure I clean out the closet. I don't no where I'm going to put all my clothes now."

"I live out of laundry baskets for the most part." Lucy isn't lazy by any means, but laundry is her undoing. She changes outfits 3 times a day. So for her to put clothes away is almost pointless.

"I can't do that. You know how much I hate messiness. I could always use mom's old office. I'll just have to sneak in there when Trentons not around." Trenton is my dad. I started using his first name when I was about 14, right after my mother was first diagnosed and we found out about his little fling with the new receptionist. Luke and I caught him in the office after both our practices were cut due to a lightning storm. The bastard was balls deep in Ms.Greensborrow. The town hussy. She's fooled around with most of the men in town, married, committed, single it doesn't matter. The bitch would give a blow job if you looked in her direction. Jenna Greensborrow now works in the school office. I have to see her every morning. A constant reminder that Trenton was a shitty husband.

"Let's skip the rest of the day and start our weekend early. We can treat ourselves to pedicures. My treat of course." Lucy gives me a half smile and I nod in defeat. I need to get out of here, go somewhere Beau and Zeek won't be to sort out what is going on in my head.