14.

She watched, and she was scared. Naevia had been struck by Ashurs sword, thrown to the ground by his hand.

Naevia slashed at his neck, after surprising when she broke out of his grip. She growled down at him. In three swings, she hacked off his head in three swings, blood spurting as she severed it, his head hit the floor with a thud, body following soon after.

“Donar, Lydon, see Ashurs head upon the path as reply to Glaber.” Spartacus commanded.

“You send a clear one.” Gannicus added.

“It would be nail and cross for those who live.” Lugo called.

“Glaber would have seen us all to such fate. Regardless of answer carried.”

“So we’re dead either way, pity there are not enough vines for all our corpses.”

“Close fucking mouth!” Agron snapped.

“No.” He knelt to the ground. “Nemetes is right. There are not enough vines for us all. But perhaps there are enough for a few.”

“Your words carry new meaning.” Gannicus pointed out.

“Glaber expects us to defend the higher ground, as any good leader would. Yet perhaps there is another course, a bold one, that the Romans will never see coming.”

*

Karin sat with Nasir and the other rebels, helping them wind the vines to strengthen them. Spartacus was looking out over the Roman camp from the cliff.

“We have gathered all the vines we have, enough for four men.” Nasir reported to Spartacus.

“Agron, Crixus, Gannicus, I would have you by my side.” Spartacus said.

*

“I know fear wells within your breast and it does so with great cause. The Romans hold numbers far outweighing our own.” Spartacus declared, looking at each and every one of them. “Yet they have revealed time and again, fatal flaw: that they believe the Roman way, is the only one, just as they believe there is only one way to leave this mountain. We shall teach them, that we forge our own paths and nothing is impossible when heart and mind are put towards it!”

The rebels roared in agreement, bracing themselves next to the vines.

“Brace rope.” Karin took her place behind Nasir, gripping the rope made from vines tightly. “Let us begin a lesson, forever remembered.”

“The storm will mask descent!” Agron crowed. “The Gods must give good fortune!”

“Free men create their own.” Spartacus replied. Agron giving him a beaming grin. “We are all Gods this night, and the Romans to feel our wrath!” He shouted.

Karin smiled as they made their way from their sight holding the rope-vines as the lowered themselves down the side of the cliff.

*

“I know you worry.” Donar said, following behind her as she paced back and forth awaiting the signal.

“What else am I to do, they have to be family! I care!” She stressed her tone, hands grasping at the back of her hair.

“You must stay calm, stay your hand and wait for signal to be given.” He gripped her wrists, pulling her hands away from her head, looking her in the eyes. She was trembling, biting her lip anxiously, fists clenching, wrist muscles flexing in Donars grip. He pulled her closer to him, trying to assure her. She tried to pull away from a moment, looking past him too see if the signal has been lit.

“Calm for a moment, strike signal from mind.” He let go of one wrist to cup her jaw. “Ich liebe dich.” He whispered, thumb rubbing her cheek. “Sie werden sicher sein.” He assured in his native tongue.

She couldn’t understand much from him, looking at Donar confused, she loved the sound of his voice speaking his native tongue, although she couldn’t understand him. She let her hand slide down to his hip, holding on, giving him a small smile, eyes conveying her fear.

“Ich verspreche, mein Herz, mein Seele gehört dir.” He kissed her cheek chastely.

“The signal!” Nasir shouted, raising sword in air.

She pulled away from Donar, gripping the hilt of her sword tightly.

“Move!” Oenomaus called, as the began to charge down to face the Romans.

They joined the fight with shouts of defiance, swords and axes brandished, parting flesh. Blood soaking into the ground as it was spilt. Combined forces of an attack from Spartacus’ groups and the rebels from the mountain proved effective, many Romans falling to the blades wielded. Spartacus setting sword to task of making his way to Glaber.

“Fall back!” Glaber cried. “Fall back!” The Romans retreated, Glaber turning his back on Spartacus. 

“And see victory ours!” Spartacus yelled, moving after Glaber, Crixus and Naevia following behind him. The others attacking the remaining Roman soldiers. Gannicus engaged the Egyptian, both his swords clashing against his daggers. Karin spun away from the fight, not falling into the path of anger, as Gannicus fought with him. She joined by Donars side, his axe slaying many Romans a time. 

Gannicus was floored by the Egyptian, Oenomaus coming to his defense before a killing blow was given to the champion. Gannicus and Oenomaus fought as one, as they used to, combining attacks and strategy against the Egyptian, deflecting strikes and movements, swords clashing. Gannicus was thrown to the side before the Egyptians sword pierced through Oenomaus flesh, blood spilling from his lips before he pulled his sword from him, engaging an enraged Gannicus, fighting for vengeance. Attacking the Egyptian with a strike from above as he rolled onto his knees, Gannicus’ sword embedding into his skull.

“Oenomaus!” Gannicus ran back to his friends side, kneeling next to him supporting his head, looking down hopeful for his friends survival. 

“I go, to my wifes’ arms.” Oenomaus, said, fighting for breath. “May I greet you in the afterlife, my brother.” Gannicus pressed his forehead to his brothers’, holding him close for but a moment longer, before following the rebels as the charged towards attacking the temple.

The rebels scaled the wall, vaulting over the top, before landing on the platforms, weapons raised. Attacking what was left of the Romans that were part of Glabers force as they jumped from the platforms to solid ground, sword slashing at flesh and armour.

Spartacus set sword to purpose, slaying the soldiers that challenged him before glaring at Glaber who watched in fear from the steps at the temples front. Karin watched as he killed a mercenary from Ashurs group, and the soldiers that rushed forward to defend their praetor, before moving towards Glaber with the intent of death and vengeance in mind.

Bashing Salvius’ face into a pillar in anger, killing the man on impact. He turned to duck Glabers sword, fighting with heat behind steel, swords clashing in anger and need for survival. 

Karin moved to help Spartacus as Glabers’ sword was inches away from his throat, when another Roman blocked her path. The others stood, as Karin looked from the mans’ dying eyes, to see Spartacus’ sword impaled into Glabers chest. 

“The Roman finally learns his place before us!” He said to Glaber, twisting the sword inside his chest, pushing him to his knees. “On his knees!”

“You’ve won nothing.” Glaber spat, blood dribbling down his chin. “Rome will send legions in my wake, and one day soon, you shall fall, to deserved end!

“Perhaps,” Spartacus said, lifting Glabers face with the hilt of his sword. “But it is not this day.” Stabbing his sword into Glabers mouth, killing the man, blood dripping from the blade as his body slumped to the floor, blood flooding from his mouth.

He turned, to see the rebels watching with admiration and awe etched into their faces, as if looking upon a God amidst their ranks. “Let Rome, send their legions,” He began. “We will face them and see all follow Glaber in death!” 

They roared in agreement, swords raised high and voices filling the air. “Now we become an army.” He said to Crixus. Other rebels chanting his name as a war cry, a symbol of hope and happiness. A symbol of freedom!