9.

Karin was curled up with Nasir, shaking as he stroked her hair. He held her close to his chest, pressing a kiss to her temple. He hummed quietly, rocking her back and forth.

Donar watched from a far, bottom lip pouting as he watched them worriedly. He had no chance to speak to her, Nasir fussing over her like a mother hen, watching her carefully, not letting her leave his sight.

He moved to approac h, sitting next to Nasir, Karin curled up between them. He looked at Nasir for permission before stroking her hair. Her shaking slowed to a small shiver every few minutes. She moved closer to Donar, arms reaching out to him.

He pulled her into her lap. She almost stopped shivering, still a small tremble reminding them what she’d gone through. 

“Look after her.” Nasir said suddenly, causing Donar to look up from Karin.

“I will.” Donar stroked her hair softly, Karin sprawled out, now looking at both Donar and Nasir, watching with half-lidded eyes.

“I do not need looking after.” She yawned. “Just need sword in hand.”

“And where did that lead you little one?” Donar asked her, pressing a chaste kiss to her lips. “You need not only a sword, but someone to follow and protect you.” He answered the question before Karin could. 

Karin looked at Donar with frustration. “I do not need protecting.” She moved herself off Donars lap, getting up hesitantly before walking away to Saxa, Nemetes and Agron, smiling a forced smile as Agron clapped her shoulder enthusiastically, grin plastered on his face. Saxa and Nemetes greeted her warmly in their own tongue, laughing.

They slung their arms around her shoulder, both Germans on either side, lifting spirits. Donars face lifted when he heard genuine laughter float from where the four laughed and teased each other.

Karin laughed, lifting her feet from the ground, surprising both Germans, them carrying her, grabbing her legs and hoisting her onto their shoulders. She shrieked in shock as they turned to face Agron, who laughed at Karin’s flailing legs before his arms darted out to steady Karin when she leaned too far forward. 

“Gratitude.” She smiled, her heart pounding in her chest. “Can I stand on steady ground now?” She asked, looking down at the sands, as Agron helped her down from their shoulders.

“She does not shy away from attention.” Spartacus remarked, watching the commotion from next to Donar and Nasir. He watched as she was all smiles, having conversation with Agron and his kin. Agron held her shoulders protectively, Spartacus noticed. Despite her being on the sands safe from falling off their shoulders and away from the Romans, he held onto her. She looked at Agron with admiration, smiling and laughing along with their japes and comments. Agron would look back with similar expression, ruffling her hair without hesitation, picking her up by the waist surprising her, legs kicking in the air.

“She always loved the attention.” Nasir replied. “We were away apart for three years. She came back slightly different, she never spoke about it, but I think it had cause to be from the arena... only girl to fight in the arena at the age of sixteen? Why did they make her fight?”