Holla If You Need Me

I looked in the mirror mentally preparing myself for what I was about to do. Although I had done it many times before, I still feel dirty at the end of every show. That's why I always try to get a little buzzed before it's my call on the stage. I hate my job, but I have to deal with it so that I can reach my end goal. It's my last year of college and I can't stop now. That mass media arts degree has my name written all over it.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror. My caramel skin was smooth because I had just applied a nice amount of lotion. I had on a two piece, black lace lingerie set on. My curly Afro gave me a slight height advantage, compared to my normal 5'6 stature. My eyes which matched the color of my skin was covered with a simple beat fast. I heard the music cut off and the Dj's voice blasting loudly through the speakers. I knew I was up next, so I hurriedly applied some lip gloss and walked out of the dressing room and into the hall way that led to the stage. Thankfully tonight, I had pleasure of getting dressed alone. The club was packed as usual so I assumed all the girls were busy. As soon as I walked into the hallway a cloud of smoke hit my face. I noticed three of the other girls were standing in the corner smoking. My intro music started to play so I had no time to chat, as I rushed to the other end of the hall.

I'm just a bachelor, I'm looking for a partner

Someone who knows how to ride,

Without even falling off...

I confidently and slowly walked on the stage, as Ginuwine's Pony played. As I grinded my hips to the rhythm of the music I felt all eyes on me. Let's be clear, although I don't like stripping it's what pays my bill and I do it well. I'm not a hoe, I don't sleep around and try not to fuck with anyone's man. I get in and get out. Lost in my thoughts, I continued dancing doing a couple tricks on the pole until the song ended. Money was still being thrown on the stage after I stopped dancing. I grabbed my duffel bag that I keep handy on the side of the stage because some of these females is thieves and made my way to the dressing room. As I walked in the one of the only girls that I actually call a friend, walked up behind me.

"Jada girl, you know you be having them dudes wildin over you, imma need you to teach me some tricks" Kia said looking at all the money I collected.

"Girl all you have to do is practice." I said throwing on some jogging pants and a tank top. I went to my locker and grabbed my keys.

"Why you always leaving so fast after you dance? You act like you can't never chill with me."

"I be having to study girl, but what you trying to do?"

"Well... it is a couple of dudes out there that was telling me about a party..." Kia said wiggling her eyebrows. She stopped mid-sentence and I'm sure it was because the look on my face. She knows damn well that I'm not with party with anybody from this scene. I was young when I first started working at this club, so I was over and done with the same tired ass people. Kia is also very single and I have a dude that would trip if even got a whiff of me out partying. To him it wouldn't be a just be a "party", it would be so much more than that and I just don't have the time for it.

"Fine let me get dressed real quick and we can just go grab something to eat." I waited for Kia to get dressed and then we headed to this popular burger spot the next block from the club. The Lobby was open so we decided to sit in there and chill. Before I could sit Kia was telling me all the latest gossip that was happening at the club. She's way more in the mix than me. What surprised me was when I became the topic of conversation.

"Girl you know the hoes be hating on you at that club. They feel some type of way." She said making air quotes with her hands.

"Girl! I do not bother anybody in that place, they just gotta find something to say. What I do now?"

They think you bougie because you don't never hang with them and all that rara." Kia said eating one of her fries.

"Girl I could care fucking less about those girls. They not about nothing I'm trying to get up out of that club as fast as possible."

"I know that's right girl I respect you for real. You go out here and get your education and don't let nobody stop you. Shoot I need to be taking pointers"

"Thank you boo. I love you too and you know the offer still stands. I can get you in to school."

"Nope not for me." Kia said scrunching up her face. It was already late when we left the club. I had forgot all about my phone being turned off messing with all of Kia and all her shenanigans. I searched for my phone in my bag for about 5 minutes, almost having a panic attack before I found it. I was going to be so hurt if I had left it at the club. Once I powered on my phone, I noticed I had five voicemails from John, my boyfriend. It was time to go it was damn near 4:00 in the morning and I had class at 9:00. I tried to call him back but he didn't answer.

Me and Kia finished eating our food and I dropped her off at home. Which was about 20 minutes from my house. The drive to my house was quick because I know all of the shortcuts. When I finally reached my door, I grabbed my keys and started to open the door. As soon as I got the key in the door, I heard the lock turn and I was roughly grabbed inside and thrown against the wall.

"Where the fuck you been!" John said as he had me hemmed up by my collar

"I was at work and then I went to get something to eat with Kia. Now can you please get off me, I'm tired." I said already on the verge of tears

"No the fuck you wasn't cus if you was you would have answered yo phone. Now who was you with?"

"I told you Kia!"

I saw his hand before I felt the pain. I fell to the floor and started crying. I could already feel my face swelling up. I was so tired of John and his accusations. I had tried to fight him back before but that just made him even madder.

"I know what the fuck you do after you leave the strip club so don't bring your ass in here lying to me." He said yelling in my face. I could smell the alcohol on his breathe. "Are you stupid? Did you think my homeboys wouldn't call me and tell me they seen yo hoe ass at the club tonight?"

"John, how was I.." before I could finish talking he smacked me across the mouth.

"I thought I made myself perfectly clear last time, if you see one of my homeboys in the club yo ass better not get on that stage. I don't want to have to keep telling you this shit Jada next time answer yo fucking phone." I looked into John's eyes as he stared at me with a look of disgust. What was I supposed to do if I say something he was going to hit me? What he was saying didn't make sense, his friends with come into the club every now, how I am I supposed to know when they show up. I guess he eventually got tired of looking at me and finally got up. I watched out of the corner of my eye as he grabbed his jacket, seconds later he slammed my apartment door. After sitting another 10 minutes making sure he was gone I finally got up and locked the door, and the bolt. He wouldn't be getting back in tonight. I didn't even want to look in the mirror at my face so I went straight into the shower. The shower water seemed to engulf me as I thought about John. He didn't used to be like this, he used to be so sweet.

I remember when we first met. Sadie, this cool chick I met in one of my class and I went to lunch. It was a new Mexican place that served drinks and bomb food. I had never tried it but she kept insisting that it was so good. So, I decided to go, as soon as we walked in the spot John and his homeboy were eyeing us. Me and her didn't pay them any mind because that's how dudes are. When it was time for us to be seated, the waitress was about to sit us at the table behind them. As we passed John grabbed my hand. I was surprised because he was bold. He and his friend invited us to sit at his table. His smile was what got me and he was confident. We were single and they were cute so I thought why not? Now all I do is wish that I would have just took my ass to a different table.