Chapter 38

November - 2017

"Alright!" Josh shouted into the mic. "Paris! How're we doing?" The crowd screamed at him. I watched girls in the pit, jumping and putting their hands out for him. "If I might say so, this is the best rock n' roll concert on the earth this even!" It was so loud, and he held the audience well. Sammy gave big smiles, not directly at one person, more like laughing to himself. Jake looked over at him, nodding so they were ready to start the song. Danny's arms slammed down, Highway Tune radiating through the room. I could feel the rhythm in my chest it was so loud. Jules dances next to me, her body trying to believe it was real. She smiled at me widely. I bopped my head to the music, putting my hands to my side, letting my body go free.

When the song ended, Josh sent kisses to a girl in the front row who had got his attention. Her body fell from under her, her friends pulling her up. She played it off like nothing had happened and I laughed. "This song, is one that I don't think I need to introduce anymore. It was written for a girl that's as majestic and weird as she is sweet. This is Flower Power." Sammy had moved to the organ and Jake held his acoustic. Josh began to sing and my heart somehow got stuck in my throat. "She's a lady comes from all around. There's many places, but she's homeward bound." It was beautiful, I couldn't believe how it made me feel. My soul lifted from my body and I looked down at my body. I was dancing, like I never had before. My eyes situated on each of them for a few seconds. "It turns to night, fire light. Star shines in her eye. Makes me feel like I'm alive." Josh pointed to me. "She's out of sight." Then he turned back to the crowd. My eyes landed on Jake, he bopped his head as he played, barely looking up or at anyone. I cheered loudly he started his guitar solo. He looked up right at me and though I didn't want to, I grinned at him like a fool.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me." Julie said, seriously. She had stopped dancing.

"What?! Are you okay??" I said, but she just looked at me and then them.

"This song's about you isn't it?" I gave her a weird look and shook my head.

"No way." I yelled over the music.

"Yes it is, Maggie." She stopped, thinking for a second. "How long have you known them?"

"Young, since we were babies."
"This is about you. It's all about you, isn't it?" She yelled as Sammy's much quieter organ solo happened, causing people including Danny to look over at us from behind his drums. "The whole thing, the whole fucking thing." No it wasn't, I knew it wasn't, but I let her have her moment. I turned to look back at Danny. He gave me a nervous smile. My eyes popped open as he nodded to me. I gulped down, making a noise with it. Eyes traveling to Jake. He stood with his body facing the drums, I looked at him because I knew he wouldn't be looking at me. Covered in darkness as the spotlight shed light on Sammy.

I was mad. I had no real reason to be, but I was. In that moment, I knew it was about me. I wanted to yell, I wanted to scream, most of all I wanted to cry, but I had cried too much in there presence and I wasn't going to be some cry baby. I felt like I was going to throw up as they finished up their encore. I walked back to the room and sat on the couch, my head between my knees. The door opened and Michael's voice illuminated the room. "That was epic, the best one yet. You boys should be proud." I looked up as they crowded in. "And you, you have to be some sort of good luck charm." He pointed to me. I had a blank expression. My face turned red, my neck sweating. "Go shower and then we'll do something." He said. Michael and three of them walked out, but Sammy stayed, situating himself next to me.

"You alright? I saw your friend standing out there by herself." My hands were wet and shaking uncontrollably.

"I'm gonna ask you something, I want you to be honest with me." He nodded his head. "A-are those songs.. Who are they about?" His eyes were confused, not understanding what I was getting at.