11 | Nobody Like You

song for this chapter/ nobody like you by Little Mix

to get the vibe for the chapter YOU NEED to hear this song. super important. this song describes their relationship to a TEE. you need to listen to this song if you want to understand the emotinal connection that I'm writing from. this song is them. 

_______________

It's been two weeks since I cancelled my wedding and my phone hasn't stopped ringing. Everyone wants to know why. People are asking if Ben cheated or if something happened between us but I haven't confirmed or denied anything. It's not like I'm going to just tell everyone the truth and expect them to believe me. I wouldn't believe this story myself. 

But here I was, in my giant house, alone. No Ben. No Ross. Nobody but me. It was nice at first, but then I started to miss Ben. He hadn't tried to reach out to me or see me since he left last week. Nothing. And I didn't know how to feel about that. Sure, I ended it. But part of me still expected him to fight for the relationship. He didn't even lift a finger. He just let it all go. That was something I didn't expect. 

But then I started thinking about Ross. I had probably confused him more than ever before and he was probably very unsure of where he stood with me. I was also thinking about the plan I had in place. I was supposed to go to him if he got that invitation. I was supposed to try and start over with Ross and instead I lied and ran away. So, I'm not entirely sure where that leaves me. 

While I was sitting looking out the window of my home, the doorbell rang, causing me to escape from my thoughts and climb back to reality. I got up and walked over to the door, opening it to reveal Ben standing there with a straight face. 

"Ben, hi." I said, standing aside to let him in. He slowly walked inside and I shut the door behind him. "I've been thinking everything over for awhile now and I still can't figure out why. Why did you do this, Laura?" Ben asked, causing guilt to rush through me. I had a choice between lying and telling the truth. I didn't know what option to choose at this point. I was more out of touch with myself than ever before.

"Laura, just tell me the truth. You owe me that." Ben stated. He was right. I really did. "It was the invitation." I sighed, letting the truth out. "What invitation?" Ben asked, tilting his head at me. "The one you gave to Ross. I didn't forget to mail that one out. I specifically kept it hidden." I explained. Ben still looked confused.

"When I was making invitations, part of me felt like Ross wasn't out of the picture yet. I believed that the only way I'd ever go back to him would be through a giant act of fate. So, I wrote in the invitation that if he receives the invite, that I would cancel the wedding." I explained further. 

"Because if after all that time, if the invitation still reached him, that was fate telling you he was the one for you?" Ben concluded. I swallowed the lump in my throat and nodded. "Yes." I admitted. "Holy shit, and I was the one that gave it to him. I destroyed my own wedding, in theory." Ben ran a hand through his hair. It was clear he was upset. "Ben, please." I started but he waved me off. "Don't, Laura. You can't even begin to imagine how I feel right now." He said angrily. 

"Actually, I do. When Ross and I were engaged, he walked out the door one morning and told me it was over. Just like that. And I never knew why, really. At least you know." I tried to console him, but he shook his head. "I should have known your little romance wasn't over yet. I should have known. God, I'm such an idiot. I can't believe I didn't see this coming." Ben's voice was raising, and it was apparent that he was not taking this news well at all.

"Are you sleeping with him right now? Is he here?" Ben spat at me. "No, not at all. I haven't even spoken to him about anything except for when I told him no. I told him I didn't want him anymore." I explained, and I didn't even make sense to myself. "Laura, don't fucking lie to anyone anymore. If you didn't want to be with him you wouldn't have made that little game up in your head. Stop fucking around. Just because you broke my heart doesn't mean you need to break his." Ben explained, his tone calming a bit. 

"What?" I said, not really comprehending what he was saying. "Laura, this is the last thing I want, but I'm not going to be the guy that stands in the way of you and the person you're supposed to be with." Ben said before walking towards the door. "Good luck, Laura." He said before shutting it. 

______________

I hadn't been to Ross's house in ages. Not since there was a label party that I was required to be at. I didn't even know if he'd be here. I didn't even know if I should be here. But I still rang the doorbell anyways. 

Ross opened the door slowly, his face full of confusion. "Laura? What's up?" He asked, stepping aside to let me in. I walked past him and shrugged. "Just thought I'd stop by. How is everything?" I asked casually, trying not to freak out on the inside. 

"Fine, I guess. What do you need?" Ross asked me, knowing full well something was up. "I wanted to play you a song." I said, walking over to his piano. "Tell me what you think, okay?" I said. He nodded, taking a seat on the couch. 

I took a deep breath and looked at Ross one more time before singing. 

I'm alive, if living's just a beating heart, cause we won't admit we've taken it too far

I glanced over at him and he looked completely enthralled with the song, so I kept going.

I know it's love, cause I will always be the first to stop making excuses when it hurts

But I'm alone, I'm alone I'm alone again. And all I want, all I want is to feel again. 

There's nobody like you. 

Nobody like you. 

I've tried goodbye a hundred times, not one of them true.

I looked up from the piano again and saw Ross sitting there with his eyes closed. I could see tears brimming at the sides of his eyelids. He knew it was about him. So, I continued. 

Nobody like you, nobody like you

I'm screaming I don't want you but, you know that I do. 

Nobody like you. 

As my fingers glided over the keys on the piano to finish playing what I had written so far, my heart felt like it could burst at the seams. I felt so overcome with emotion that as I finished, I broke down into tears. I heard Ross crying too. 

We both knew we'd taken the largest toll on each other. It was years in the making. We'd destroyed each other but at the same time, we made each other whole. 

"Laura, I'm so sorry. I should never have left the house that morning. That was the biggest mistake of my life. I've regretted it ever since. Please understand that I'm so sorry. I'd do anything to go back in time and fix it." Ross said through tears, walking over to me and getting on his knees, holding my hands in his. 

I got off the piano bench and dropped to my knees on the floor as well. My hands were holding his for dear life and my heart was pounding. 

Years of emotions poured out of me. All of this bent up anger and sadness was leaving me all at once. 

And now here we were, both of us on our knees in front of each other, crying for everything we were, are, and will be. Crying for what we never could be, and for what we could have been. 

"Laura, I love you. I love you more than anything. I always have and I always will. Please understand me." He said, trying to look through my tears and into my eyes. I bowed my head and let out a sob. "There's nobody like you, Ross. There never will be. I'm done saying goodbye to you. I don't want to say it anymore." I sobbed. He shook his head and wiped away my tears. 

"You don't have to anymore. I'm here. I'm here now." He whispered before kissing me on the lips for the first time in years. 

_____________________

i really hope you listened to nobody like you because it captures the essence of this chapter in a way that i cant through the written word. 

this was a very emotional chapter to write. i love these characters so much and it was so beautiful yet so hard to write this. 

hope you liked it

see you next update

all my love,

haileexoxo