3 | You're Leaving?

song for this chapter // think about us - little mix

__________

"Laura, I wouldn't be asking if I didn't want you there." Rydel spoke through the phone. "It's really important to me that you come. We used to be so close, and just because Ross lost you again doesn't mean I want to." 

I sighed. It was Rydel's birthday this weekend and she wanted me to come to her big party. Last year at this time, Ross and I were still together, so attending her birthday was no problem. But I knew that this year would be different. 

"You can bring someone if you want. A plus one. It doesn't have to be a date, bring Raini if you want. Or Annie." Rydel offered. I knew Raini was busy, but Annie might not be.

Now, you're probably wondering who Annie is. 

About a year ago, I started working at Republic Records as a song writer. Annelise was one of my co-workers, and after we met, we were inseparable. She was supposed to be a bridesmaid at my wedding, but, after everything happened, well, you know. 

She was one of my favourite people. She was there when I wouldn't stop crying, but she had also been there when I couldn't stop laughing. 

"Okay, I'll ask Annie if she wants to come." I said quietly. "Yes! Laura that's great news. Ross is bringing Jaz, I think, but don't think anything of it. Jazz is super sweet and there's nothing going on between them, so don't feel weird or li-" "Rydel. I don't need to hear that. It's been months now. He can do what he wants." I cut her off. 

The other end of the line was silent for awhile, and I sighed. "I didn't mean to interrupt, I just, I'm sick and tired of everyone babying me. I can handle Ross myself. You don't need to worry about me." I said, trying to convey a soft tone. 

"Right. No, I'm sorry Laura. And I respect that. I'll see you Saturday then?" She asked, and I sighed. "Yes, but I can't promise I'll be there for long. I have to go into the studio on Sunday morning." I said softly. 

With that, we said our goodbyes and hung up the phone. With a sigh, I glanced at myself in the mirror. I was sitting on my bed, wearing an oversized t-shirt and sweatpants, my hair falling out of a poorly made messy bun. I was in no space to go out. I hadn't gone out with friends in months. The closest I ever came was having girls night with Annie and Raini the odd Friday. 

I felt like I had just made the biggest mistake. I groaned and fell down on the bed, ignoring the fact that the t-shirt I was wearing used to be Ross's. 

__________

"Laur, are you sure?" Annie asked me, as we pulled up outside of Rydel's house. I shrugged. "It's not like I have to be here for long. Just long enough to be polite." I responded, turning off the car engine. "Have you seen them all, since..?" Annie trailed off and I felt myself cringe. 

"No." I let out and Annie put her hand on my shoulder. "I'm right here for you. I hope you know that." Annie said, and I nodded. "I know." I smiled at her. We both got out of the car and walked to the front door. Annie knocked and a few moments later, Rydel opened it up, Savanah right behind her. "Laura." A smile took over her face and she engulfed me in a hug. 

"Hi Del." I said, feeling my own smile tugging at my lips. "I'm so glad you came. Really. You know Savannah, right?" Rydel said, gesturing to the girl standing behind her. "Of course. Riker's a lucky guy." I smiled at her. She smiled sweetly back at me. "Thanks, Laura." She said, reaching out to wrap me in a hug. 

"This is Annie." I said, gesturing towards my friend, who they both gladly hugged and then ushered us out into the backyard. I gulped when I saw all of the people in front of me. I saw Rocky talking with Riker and another guy, who was probably a friend of theirs through music. I saw Courtney and Savannah, two of Rydel's best friends, and I saw Ross, sitting at a picnic table, deep in conversation with Jaz.