13 | It Was Worth It For You

"Well, where is he taking you?" Rose asked me, flipping over on my bed while I looked through my closet. She and I had become best friends over the years, and without her to lean on, it would have been hard for me to make it in this industry.

"He wouldn't tell me. Typical Ross. He always likes to surprise people." I said, rolling my eyes. Tonight was our first date in almost three years. Or at least it seemed like it. It had to be close to that.

"When we dated, he usually told me where we were going. Maybe you just get special treatment." Rose winked at me. I rolled my eyes. "Hardly. I think he just wants this date to be special." I shurgged. "So are you two going to get married or is this just lowkey for now?" Rose pressed. "Definetly lowkey, I can't handle another engagement right now. I think it's best for me to try and live my life above all else right now." I explained and she nodded her head. "I get it. Two engagements in less than five years is kind of killer." Rose joked, causing me to hit her shoulder playfully.

_______________

When a light knock startled me at 7:05 PM I felt nerves running through me. I hadn't felt like this since, well, I don't know when. It was a feeling I hadn't felt in a long time, possibly forever.

I breathed deeply and stepped forward to open the door. There stood Ross, dressed in a button up shirt and black skinny jeans. A smile graced his face when he saw me, but as his eyes wandered down my body, his mouth gaped open. It was adorable.

"Laura, I've never seen anything as beautiful as you. Oh my god." Ross said, his eyes welling up. I stepped forward to give him a hug. I could tell how emotional this was for him. It was for me too, after all this time we finally had each other back. We were finally starting over. I pulled away and smiled gently at him. "You look amazing too, Ross." I complimented back.

"I'm glad. Do you know how much I stressed over what to wear? Rocky nearly set fire to me." Ross joked, before stepping aside so I could walk outside and to his car. He opened the car door and helped me inside. "You're such a gentleman." I said, smiling in appreciation. He shrugged and offered me a goofy smile. "I try." He said before walking over to the driver's side.

"So, Ross Lynch, where are you taking me?" I said with a playful tone. "Well, Laura Marano, it is a surprise until we get there." He smirked, putting the car into drive and leaving my house. I sighed, looking out the window. "So, how was your day today?" I asked him, stretching out in my seat and looking over to him. It seemed so easy, like we'd been together all this time. "I literally spent the entire day planning this date. No joke." Ross laughed, causing me to smile. "You're serious?" I asked giddily.

"Yeah, I am. I hope it pays off. It was worth it for you." He smiled, reaching over and placing his hand on my thigh while looking at the road. I picked his hand up and held it with mine.

It felt like home.

___________

Ross pulled into an empty beach parking lot and walked us over to the sand, where there was a picnic, some surfboards and two candles sitting there waiting for us. I looked over to him, my eyes welling with tears.

He had re-created our first official date from five years ago.

"Ross, you didn't." I said, gasping. He smiled widely at me. "But I did." He winked before grabbing my hand and pulling me toward the picnic blanket. I felt tears fall down my face when I saw a photo of us sitting on the blanket from this exact spot.

"It's like we're starting over were we officially started. I really wanted to have a do-over since our first run at things was a little fucked up. This time, let's write our story the way we want." He said, leaning down and planting a kiss on my lips.

"Now, hurry up and eat because I really want to go surfing." He said, pulling at my arm to sit down with him. One thing I loved about Ross was how child like he was at times. It made me feel young and full of optimism.

We ate the sandwiches and fruit that he had packed before grabbing our surfboards and heading into the water.

"Laura, I'm going for that one!" Ross yelled as he went to catch a wave. I smiled and watched him with a full heart, knowing that this was exactly where I was supposed to be.

Suddenly, I heard a snap and I turned my head around to see someone standing on shore with a camera. My heart sunk. For the first time in a long time, I had forgotten I was famous. Ross and I were both famous musicians now. A lot had changed since the first time we had this date. A lot.

And if there was one thing I knew, it was that where one paparazzi is, more are sure to follow. Ross swam over to me, pushing back his hair. "What's wrong?" He asked, face full of concern. I pointed to the photographer standing near his car and Ross's face dropped. "Oh shit. I forgot that was a thing. Things just seemed so-" "Normal?" I finished for him. Ross nodded his head. "Yeah, I forgot we were both famous as hell. Now everyone is going to know." Ross sighed, playing with the water in his hands.

I turned around and took his hands in mine. "Maybe that's okay. We don't have to say anything, and it's not like it's a picture of us making out or something. As far as that picture goes, we're just hanging out again. Nothing that we have to confirm or deny." I said, calming him down. "I guess that's true. But are we ever going to be official again? Publicly?" He asked.

"Someday Ross, but I don't think either of us could handle that right now." I said, looking up at him. "I guess you're right." He sighed, leaning down to kiss me, but I stopped him. "The camera, remember?" I smiled and he laughed. "Fine, but when we get back to your house I'm kissing you all I want." He smirked, causing me to let out a huge laugh.

While it was still early, and fairly lowkey, I could tell that this time it would be different.

This time there wasn't going to be a breakup.

I knew that for sure.

___________________

hi, here is your update

sorry it took awhile. ive been so busy and kinda stressed/ not doing the best, therefore updating hasn't been my top priority.

buuuut, how cute is this chapter? I had to go back into the These Four Walls book to find the surfing date chapter looool.

in other news, These Four Walls is officially at 209k reads so it's only 1k away from 210k WHICH IS CRAZY. that will be a cool day for me.

anyway hope u liked it. lemme know ur fav part. thx ily

all my love

haileexoxo