Scratching the Surface

Chapter Seven

Around half a dozen of passports and ID cards now lay on the ground. All bearing different names but with Cate's face on it. Different births, different names but the same face. Who exactly are you? 

-- 

Sherlock made his way back up to his apartment; Mrs Hudson was sitting on the couch and staring at the carpet, but also not looking at anything, her hands clutched together on her lap. The kettle was screeching in the kitchen, John could be heard tapping something, presumably sugar, into a cup; the kettle clicked and the sound of pouring water now filled the silence. Sherlock walked his chair and slumped down. 

"Who was she?" Sherlock was looking at Mrs Hudson. 

"Sherlock! You have to give time for Mrs Hudson to get over the shock," Sherlock didn't even look at John; he sat facing Mrs Hudson, his hands resting under his chin.  

"It's fine, John. Mrs Hudson is already over it. So, who is she?"  

"Her name is Cate Thorne, she's been living here for roughly three years, I think. Time passes so quickly nowadays, I always lose track of what day of the week it is." Mrs Hudson let out a light giggle, John came into the 'living' room and passed a cup to Mrs Hudson. She looked into the cup, as if she was trying to see through the cup, "Sherlock, who did this to her? Why would they do this to her? She's only 19."  

"I don't know, Mrs Hudson," a tear slipped out of the corner of her eye, she quickly wiped it away, "Why is she so important to you? Did she forget to pay her rent?" Mrs Hudson pressed her lips into a firm line and shot him an upset look. 

"She always pays her rent on time, always," by this point she had put her cup down on the table in front, she started to slowly get up, "She was always there for me when you and John left me as well. That's why she's important to me." And with that, she started to slowly hobble out and back down to her apartment. 

John stayed put, but his face in complete and utter shock, and sharply turned to face Sherlock, "What the hell was that? Can you not survive a whole day without pissing someone off?" John roughly snatched the newspaper off the table and began to read it with a frown on his face.  

"What are you doing?" 

"I'm reading the newspaper?" 

"Why?" 

"One. To read about what is going on outside this apartment. Two. To occupy myself, so I don't have to talk to you." Sherlock opened his mouth to respond, but a pinging of a phone could be heard, Sherlock brought out his phone and checked the text that had just been sent to him. 

Why do you need to know about these people? 

-MH  

Research, brother mine. I know you've already got the information, just send it to me. Or else I'll tell Mummy that you've been smoking again. 

-SH 

A few seconds passed, another text alert could be heard. Sherlock smirked. 

Fine.  

File attached.  

Brother mine, do stop smirking. It doesn't suit your personality. 

-MH 

"John, we're going out. Come on."

--

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THAT! SEE YOU IN A MONTHS TIME FOR THE NEXT UPDATE. JOKES. HOPEFULLY I'LL POST WITHIN THE NEXT YEAR. JOKES AGAIN. I'LL TO UPDATE WITHIN TWO WEEKS. SCHOOL IS KINDA BUGGING ME. I WISH I COULD DROP R.S AND P.S.H.E. AND THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO BLUSKYY FOR BEING HOOKED. SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING EARLIER.

LATERZ!

anonymouse8