The Bargaining Chip

Chapter Nineteen

Cate looked outside the window, she saw the lamp post and an idea hit her like a tornado. She may not be able to see which street she was holed up on, but as long as she could see the lamp post she was going to be alright. She shuffled closer to the window, she couldn't climb up like before, those damned 'supervisors' made sure she wouldn't be able to do that again. She winced as she dragged the bottom half of her body towards the window. Not being able to move with ease was inconvenient, but as long as she could move it didn't matter. Inch-by-inch she crawled closer to the window, closer to see the lamp post. All she needed now was to be able to make a phone call to Sherlock.

Soon afterwards, the door to her room opened, her whole body tensed. The Sherlock-look-alike was back again. It's not him. He's not here. She tried to look calm and poised. The fake Sherlock sauntered over to Cate and crouched down, he drew his hand closer to her face. She flinched. His hand grasped her face and squished it.

"I think it's in your best interest for you to do it. Don't you agree?"

"What if I refuse?"

"We can think of suitable punishments."

"I think I'll take the punishments, thanks. I've been here a week, and the most you've done to me is nearly break my legs because I tried to escape through those windows. You and the other guy won't and you can't do anything to my arms and hands because they are needed for hacking. And the more you punch my face the more my eye swells up, meaning I won't have to look at your dumb, ugly faces." This earned her slap, "It doesn't even hurt anymore, my face is still numb from the last slap."

"You talk big, but I see the fear in your eyes whenever I walk into the room. Wouldn't it just be easier if you did as he told you? It's just one little job and he'll leave you alone after that."

"Like hell, he will. He'll just drag me back to the hell-hole I was trapped in before I ran away. You can tell him to go screw himself."

"Fine, be like that." He hissed, he got up to leave. Suddenly, a thought came to Cate, a bargaining chip, it could get her what she wanted.

"Wait, if I got rid of the first line of defence, would I be able to give Zach a call? Just to tell him I'm okay, the last photo you took of me wasn't that flattering and you probably left him traumatised."

"I don't think we can stretch it that far, but you can probably go a day without a beating, two if we're feeling generous. You think your boyfriend is worried sick about you?"

"Sadly he isn't my boyfriend, but I do know that he is very worried. A quick call won't do much, it's not like I can tell him where I am anyways, I can't see what's out on the street, you made sure of that."

"We'll see how it goes." He left the room and locked the door. Cate slowly leant to her left until she was lying the floor. It could work, possibly. Just a single phone call should do it. If Sherlock didn't understand the message that she was trying to tell him, she would definitely beat him senseless when, if, she ever got out. She closed her eyes, relaying the possible scenarios that could happen to her in the near future. She shuffled onto her back and lay her legs straight, she put her hands behind her head and attempted to sleep.

In what felt like five minutes, she was woken by violent shaking, she put her hands up in defence to protect her head, a hollow laugh followed,

"Don't worry, no beating today, as long as you do as you promised. You even get a change of scenery as a bonus." It was the Sherlock-look-alike, Cate put her arms down and tried to compose herself,

"Wow, aren't I a lucky girl?" No response, instead she was hauled up onto her feet and within seconds her legs gave way, and she crumpled back onto the ground.

"Rob, grab the chair from the other room, she can't walk." He half-yelled to the person on the other side of the door. Cate heard another door open and close and the rolling of wheels, the door to her room opened as well and an office chair rolled in with Rob pushing it. The Sherlock-look-alike half dragged her to the seat and rolled her out of the room, down a small section of the corridor and into another room. The other room was well-lit and had a huge table in the centre of the room, on it was various monitors, laptops and cables. So, this is where she was going to be holed up for the next few days. She was wheeled to the table and she switched on multiple screens and monitors simultaneously. As the machines whirred to life, she readied her hands. How long did it take me to do it four years ago? Wasn't it a few weeks with breaks that lasted for several days at a time? Assuming that I've become more skilled over the years, and if I don't take breaks or sleep, I could be done in a few days. She squared her shoulders. Let's get going then.

--

"Up you get, sleepy-head. Boss said well done on doing it so quickly, none of his hired hackers could get this far." Cate looked at him bleary-eyed, still half-dazed from her nap, "He's allowed you a phone call." Cate's eyes widened and instantly became more alert. This was it. Make or break it.

--

HEY Y'ALL. I'VE BEEN ABSENT, YOU PROBABLY KNEW THAT ALREADY AND HAD EXPECTED IT. I HAVE REASONS THOUGH. MAINLY I HAVEN'T HAD ANY INSPIRATION AND MY PARENTS CUT OFF MY WIFI SO I COULDN'T RESEARCH CERTAIN THINGS THAT NEEDED TO BE RESEARCHED. BUT MAINLY, I COULDN'T THINK OF THE RIGHT WAY TO WRITE THINGS FOR THIS CHAPTER SO I JUST LEFT IT AND HAVEN'T REALLY TOUCHED WATTPAD. BUT I HAVE BEEN RATHER PROACTIVE ON MY BLOG. AND I AM CURRENTLY SHAMELESSLY ADVERTISING MY BLOG, BECAUSE I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT IF YOU GUYS CHECKED IT OUT. https://charleenotcharlie.wordpress.com/ BUT OF COURSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

LATERZ!

anonymouse8