Chapter Forty Seven

I'm tired...

Why am I here again? Shouldn't I have been excused for what happened?

Sitting on my school desk, I peered over to my right, noticing the empty seat beside me. It was the last period, with the school day ending almost as quick as it started. Miss Smith was just as concerned about Ryan's missing seat because she kept on tossing questioning glances at me, as if silently asking what happened. It didn't seem like she watched the news yet, but it wasn't like the specific shooting incident was mentioned anyway. I could only muster a small frown, letting her note down that it wasn't a good thing at all.

After school, I walked down to the hospital, doing my daily visits to Ryan's hospital room for the past week. Stephanie would follow after me, always walking behind me with her hand holding mine to comfort me. I couldn't understand how she could spare a fraction of her kindness to me when it was my fault William Kei attempted to kill her own brother. Speaking of the criminal, the case was closing soon, and I knew he'd be convicted of a life sentence. Dexter's sentence was still unclear, but I wasn't too worried about that right now.

I'm glad it wasn't Stephanie who was shot. As someone who has no attributes, she wouldn't have stood a chance against that mimed bullet. Although, I'm not happy with Ryan being shot either.

However, he has more chances of surviving, so that gives me hope. Given the fact that other than Summoning, he has Healing, it might boost his recovery.

"Meredith, do you want some of my sandwich?" I heard Stephanie ask me quietly, interrupting my thoughts. I peered over my shoulder, and she added in, "You didn't eat lunch yet, right?" I shook my head. "Have some."

Not wanting to argue with her, I bit into the sandwich that she held out, letting my thoughts distract themselves. She smiled lightly at me, happy that I was eating and listening to her. We continued on our trek towards the hospital, and I kept Stephanie from spotting my quiet tears the rest of the way there.

~~~

"You can go in now," Doctor Hansen said, gesturing towards the door.

Stephanie and I made it to the hospital faster than usual, so we had to wait before going into Ryan's room. Mom managed to get our family doctor, Doctor Hansen, to help with Ryan's situation, because Ryan's personal family doctor was still working on his mother's condition and couldn't handle two at the same time, especially with the weight of both cases. I heard that Doctor Hansen had gotten quite the ratings after Papa was believed to have come back to life under his care.

Standing up, I bowed towards him a little, hanging my head low. "Thank you," I told him, my voice quiet. He looked startled by my actions, but I ignored it as I grabbed Stephanie's hand, saying, "Let's go. Come on now."

"Bye," she said to Doctor Hansen as we walked past him and into the room.

The two of us sat down next to the hospital bed. Ryan had an oxygen mask attached to his face, a disgruntled expression underneath it. I was glad to know that he was definitely conscious enough to show expression, but he wasn't going to be waking up any time soon until other professionals came by. Stephanie began taking out her homework, which she usually did in the hospital room until visiting hours ended and we both headed home. I didn't do much but listen to music and sleep.

Leaning over and resting my head on Stephanie's shoulder, I mumbled to her, "I'm sorry... It's my fault your brother is here in the first place."

She turned to me with a small smile, saying, "Meredith. I already told you; it's not your fault. If anything, William Kei is at fault here." She pulled a strand of my hair behind my ear, adding in, "And besides, you took down a notorious criminal! You have all the right reasons to worry, but don't blame yourself. Ryan wouldn't want you to think that."