Chapter seventeen ~ Surprise!

Tom PoV

Everyone turned to stare at me and I froze, as did Rachel. That was not how it was supposed to happen! It was supposed to be romantic and with candles. It was supposed to be with a ring at the sunset. It was supposed to be when we where alone. It was supposed to be during a nice dinner.  It was supposed to be when I could tell her how much she meant to me, and I could tell her all the reasons we should get married. It was supposed to be a surprise.

Well actually it kind of was a surprise, just not how I’d ever imagined.

“What?” Rachel asked quietly, as she was faced away I couldn’t see her expression but I’d put a million pound on the fact that she looked either scared or shocked. Or both.

“Was that actually what I thought it was?” She asks shifting slightly so that we could see each others faces.

“Yeah it was” I say quietly, silently praying that she didn’t say no and make a fool out of me.

Nobody said anything for a moment and I squirmed uncomfortably.

“Oh my god!” Rachel suddenly squealed standing up and jumping around, “I’m getting married!”

I stare at her for a moment before letting out the breath I didn’t know I was holding and letting a smile overtake my features. She’d said yes, even after that fail of a proposal she’d said yes. I couldn’t believe this girl, that I had been with for all of a week, was mine officially.

She grinned down at me and I looked up her, grabbing her hands and pulling her back down onto me. Hugging her tightly, I wasn’t ever going to let her go.

I looked at the others over Rachel’s head to see them sat there still completely gobsmacked.

Jay blinked a couple of times looking at the two of us, “Did that actually just happen?” he asked eventually and Siva looked at him.

“I think it did” he replied looking confused. Max was the first to recover and he smiled genuinely,

“Congratulations you two” he announced raising his beer to the sun “Hope its your happily ever after!” That last comment caused Siva and Jay to look at each other and then at Max before bursting out in laughter. Rachel laughed too.

“That was the cheesiest thing ever!” Jay spluttered and just then two shadows appeared casting shade over us.

“What did we miss?” Abbie asks flicking water from her hair at us all, as Nathan sat down next to me on one of the towels.

“Some couple got engaged, purely by slip of the tongue” Siva said glancing at me. Well it was true I suppose but I didn’t like the way he said it, or the look he and Jay still had, although Jays had eased a little.

“Really?!” Abbie cooed, a little loudly. “That’s so cute!”

“It is isn’t it” Rachel agreed turning to face her. Rachel got up and they both hugged. When they separated, Rachel sat back down on my lap and Abbie in Nathans as they chatted, leaving Nathan and me completely baffled as to what they where on about.

“Actually, I think me and Rach are going to back to our room, that is if you don’t mind me borrowing your fiancé” Abbie says suddenly, putting on a French accent as she said the word fiancé. “We need a chat” she continues and I smile.

“Sure,” I say kissing Rachel’s cheek, “see you later”

Abbie PoV

We grab our towels and ipods heading back up the beach to the hotel.

“Right, spit it out” Rachel says as we step into the lift, leaving a trail of sand in our wake.

I sigh shrugging slightly “Its just don’t you think it’s a bit quick? You’ve only been together for a week Rach, that’s not very long”

She looks at me seriously, taking one of my hands in both of hers as we get to our room and open the door “It doesn’t matter, if feels so much longer, like I’ve known him all my life, I love him Abbs, isn’t that enough?”

“I don’t want you to do the wrong thing” I argue almost shouting and closing the door behind us, pulling my hand free sharply “Cant you say no and just wait a couple of months, then get engaged, you’re only nineteen for gods sake!”

“Like that matters” Rachel counters gradually getting louder, “life’s way too short and if I can see me and him lasting then why the hell should I not!”

“Because it’s too soon, you hardly know anything about him” I disagree crossing my arms and frowning at her.

“I know that I love him, I’ve seen him drunk, tired, happy and being stupid, what else is there” Rachel says quieter, she shakes her head turning away from me. “I don’t want to argue”

“Your living in fantasy world, just like you always have. You’re too sheltered! That’s nothing, what about when he’s at his witts end because he’s stressed about work, what if he has a particularly bad temper? Huh what you going to do” I say still arguing, I needed to make her understand.

“I’d still love him!” She shouts at me from almost the other end of the room “It wouldn’t matter because I’d love him, we could work it out!”

I’m so annoyed I’m shaking “What if he’s like Louis, you know everything you love leaves eventually” I say coldly, and I see Rachel flinch at my words.

Rachel PoV

I flinch at her words, that wasn’t fair. “He won’t, what would you have said if Nathan asked you” I disagree loudly shaking my head with tears in my eyes,

“We’re different! We’ve been together longer!” Abbie shouts back at me “we actually know each other a bit”

“Time doesn’t even matter! What would the difference be if we waited 3 or 4 months, I’d still feel the same, I bet your not even saying this with me in mind are you? You just don’t want me to be happy!”

“Stop being a bitch and listen to me!” she screams back and I turn away from her. Id seen her loose her temper before and it was probably best that I just left. This really didn’t need to get any worse, I could already feel a headache kick in.

Abbie lets out a strangled scream and I whirl to face her  worried,  freezing as she picks up a glass from the table she was stood next to, hurling it in my direction.

The glass crashes around me and I suck in a deep, long,  intake of breath, still unable to move. She just threw a glass, narrowly missing my head. What sort of best friend did that?

Abbie steps forward slightly and I move away genuinely scared, bolting for the door and closing it loudly behind me. Only then did I let the trail of wet salty tears fall. Taking out my phone, I rang Nathan.

“Hey, whats up?” He asked conversationally

“I nee-d you t-to get here rea-lly quick” I manage, the tears still falling. He doesn’t ask anymore questions, just ends the call.

 He appears running down the corridor a minute later, slightly red in the face. “Woah, whats wrong, you sounded upset but…” he trailed off.

“We-we had an argument, just make sure she doesn’t hurt herself” I say clearer now than I was, handing him the key card and walking away.

Abbie PoV

I can’t believe I just did that. I threw a glass at Rachel just because I didn’t agree with her. I was only looking out for her and now look where that got me. Great one Abbie! I berate myself sliding down the wall and putting my head in my hands unable to look at the shards of glass everywhere.

After a few minutes the door opens quietly but I don’t look up. I wonder who it is though, only Rachel has a key and she wouldn’t be back anytime soon. I could bet on that.