Darkness

I had been back in England for three weeks now and there was this hole inside me that appeared the moment I said goodbye to Michael. He had driven me to the sirport, just the two of us and I had cried the entire drive to LAX. The boys had grown to mean everything to me in the short time I had known them. They were a source of somewhat chaotic stability in my messed up world. I was counting down the days until Firday when I would finally get to see Michael again. I mean, the Skype calls and FaceTimes made the seperation easier, but it wasn't the same as being with him physically. He had managed to find a couple of days off and was flying out to spend them with me. I had four days left. Four days to get through until Michael would be here. 

"Serena?" I called, lifting myself out of my seat behind the register as my work day came to an end. "I'm gonna go to tesco to grab some more food so if I'm not in the flat, I will be later." An acknowledging grunt came from the back room and I giggled lightly to myself as I collected my bag and slung it over my shoulder. The streets were getting colder and darker earlier now as the seasons changed and I gripped my leather jacket tight around my body, trying to keep off the chilly wind. Tesco wasn't far from the bookstore, but walking through Manchester in the dark would always creep me out. I rushed through the streets and alleys until I saw the white lights of the supermarket ahead of me. I rushed around to pick up the dew things I needed, like milk and a big block of chocolate to get me through another week without Michael. I didn't want to leave going home any later than I had to, I still didn't trust Manchester in the dark. I ended up running the short 1k home, feeling the eyes of the kids lining the streets on my every step. I wasn't exactly living in the best part of town and people were murdered, kidnapped and raped around here all the time. I didn't have the money to be mugged either so I made an effort to only go out in daylight unless I couldn't help it. I gave Serena a quikc wave as I walked around the back of the store, to let her know I got back safley and shut myself inside my flat, flicking all the lights on. It was weird living alone after spending three weeks constantly surrounded by nine extremley energetic boys. The flat was empty and quiet and I didn't like it at all. I kicked my shoes off by the door and put the groceries away in the fridge, taking a bite from the chocolate bar before I put it in its rightful place on the top shelf. I flopped down on the couch and stared at the ceiling, I missed Michael more than I could put into words. It was nearly eight which meant I would be getting a call from him any minute now. I didn't know whether I should be concerned, but my enitre life was revolving around these calls from Michael. In such a short time he had managed to capture me so utterly and completley. I jumped when Michael's ringtone filled the silence and slid my finger across the screen, revelaing his exhausted looking face and messy bed hair. 

"Hey baby." He smiled weakly, running a hand across the back of his neck. 

"Hey." I beamed, positioning my phone experyly between my knees so I could skype and still lay down. "Where are you?" I scrunched my eyebrows as I took in the scene behind Michael. He was outside somewhere and there was people running around everywhere. It seemed dark as well, they must have already switched timezones. 

"An airport." Michael sighed. "We're just waiting for our car." He looked to either side of him and then shrugged. "Well, I am. The boys are off doing god knows what." I nodded slowly, I had forgotten how hectic the tour schedule was and they would be flying and driving non stop. 

"You look shattered." I pouted, I hated seeing Michael this worn out. It usually put him in a bad mood. Either that or he got really upset easily. 

"I'm fine." He suddenly beamed, the car must have arrived. "Okay, the cars here. I can't wait to see you, I love you." I beamed back and blew him a kiss through the camera. 

"I love you, too." And with that the screen went black. Most of our conversations ran like that. Short and sweet whenever Michael found a small opening suring my evening when he could call. I sighed and put my phone down on the coffee table. I slunk into my room and pulled my shirt off, replacing it with one of Michael's crew necks I had stolen. I grinned when his scent engulfed me completley and replaced my jeans with a pair of old, comfy, yoga shorts. I jumped onto my bed and lay back against the duvet, holding my phone over my face and scrolled through my twitter feed. I had over 300 notification but I couldn't be bothered sorting through the comments about how much the fans shipped Michael and I or how much they hated my existence so I didn't open the tab. 

@Michael5SOS: I miss you. You suck, come and visit me. x

I threw my phone down and sighed, ignoring the constant buzzing. Fangirl35 favourited your tweet, fangirl67 replied to your tweet. I had no problem with the fans, but sometimes all I wanted was to annoy my boyfriend without the backlash. I made a mental note to turn my notifications off when I could be bothered. It really was about time I did that, it would save my phone a tonne of stress. When the buzzing was replaced by a loud ringing I couldn't help but smile. The only person who ever rang me was Michael. I frowned and pulled myself up so I was sitting indian style when I noticed the caller ID wasn't Michael at all, but my Aunt. 

"Aunty?" I felt my eyebrows knit together, If she was calling me and not texting, something was definetly wrong. "Is everything okay?"

"Allie, I want you to lock all your doors and windows right now." She half shouted down the phone and I jumped up without a hesistation and did as she asked. 

"Why? What's going on?" I could hear the panic in my voice, I already knew the answer to her question. 

"You cannot move from your flat until Derek and I get to Manchester? Do you understand?" I gave an affirming whimper in reply and she continued. "He got out. Your father got out and he found out where you are."