Notes

ALLIE!

You fell asleep last night and I didn’t want to intrude or creep you out so I went back to the hotel. I hope you’re okay. Give me a call when you wake up J

Mikey.

I picked the note up off the kitchen work top and put the cell number into my phone. I put it on speaker phone and stumbled around finding food.

“Allie? Is this you?” I shouted a confirmation back as I found out the loaf of bread. “Good. Are you alive?” I put two pieces into the toaster and laughed.

“Obviously.” Michael chuckled and I heard the phone being shuffled about.

“No, Ashton. Stop it! Luke give me back the….”

“You are seriously all he spoke about all night!” A voice, what I assumed to be Luke’s shouted down the line. I dropped my knife on the ground and hurried to collect it.

“Oh yeah? What’d he say?” I stuttered, trying to keep calm. I don’t believe that he had told them about my dad, but a part of me was petrified that they’d got it out of him.

“Allie is just so cool!.... She beat me at PS3…. We’re going to be best friends, like, seriously.” Ashton mimicked and I couldn’t help but giggle.

“She is so cute and oh my god we’re totally getting along.” Another voice chirped in as I hunted for the marmite. Where the fuck did Michael put it? “I’m going to miss her when we leave even if I have only known her for twenty four hours.” I snatched the tub out of the cupboard and rolled my eyes at the note attached.

*Marmites for pussies. Get some vegemite retard*

“Okay!” Michael yelled. “I think she’s heard enough you load of shits.” I giggled and pulled the note off the tub and stuck it to the fridge. “I hope you know they’re lying.”

“Oh.” My smile dropped a bit, I was kind of enjoying the idea of being wanted for me, not my mother.

“I mean,” Michael began to backtrack, realising that it wasn’t freaking me out like he thought it would. “I did say stuff like that. They’re just making it seem super girly and shit.” I rolled my eyes and pulled my toast from the machine.

“I’m sure it sounded much manlier when you said it, Michael.”

“Well that was dripping with sarcasm.” Michael chuckled and the phone rustled some more. I heard Luke shout that he was hungry in the background and was reminded of just how much food the skinny boy had managed to put away at the takeaway feast last night before the concert. “Anyway, what are your plans for today?” I took a bit of my toast and shuffled in the fridge for the apple juice.

“I’m job hunting, I think. Why?” I swallowed the clump of bread in my mouth realising that I was the single most uncultured girl I knew.

“Because I want to maximise Allie time. I leave Manchester tomorrow morning.” I frowned, I had grown reasonably attached to Michael after our talk last night and the thought of him going away so soon pained me.

“I really need to find a job so I can, you know, eat. But you can come with me? I’m leaving in like,” I looked up at the clock on the wall and mentally figured out how much time I’d need to get ready. “an hour.” Michael muttered something to one of the boys and I took another bite of toast while I awaited his answer.

“Yeah, okay. We’re all coming.” I raised my eyebrows in surprise, not thinking that the others boys would have wanted to spend time with me as well. “We’ll be at yours in an hour. I think I can remember the way.” I said a goodbye to all of the boys before hanging up and kicking into full gear. I munched down my toast in record time and flung my plate into the sink as I downed my juice. I started stripping my clothes off before I even reached the bathroom and switched the water on full blast. Nothing was better than the feeling of washing short hair. It took half the time, was half as difficult, and required less conditioner. Faster and cheaper. I scrunched my face at the blue water which was pooling around my feet but remembered that Michael said the colour would run in the first couple of washes. I peeked out the shower curtain to see the sky was clear and blue so I ran a razor over my legs and armpits before rinsing off the conditioner and jumping out. I patted my hair down with the towel and wrapped it around my body as I ran the brush through it. God, there was a never ending list of reasons why I loved my newly short hair. I sighed in relief as the blow dryer worked its magic in under five minutes and I wrapped a few strands around my curler before spraying a halo of hair spray. I hurried out into the bedroom and stood in frustrated impatience as I tried to decide what to wear. I settled on a plain black swing dress form TopShop Iz had gotten me for Christmas. It was simple and worked for job applications and walking around the town. I dug out the twenty CV’s I had printed out before I left for Manchester and folded them neatly before chucking them into my hand bag along with my hairbrush and purse. I the on the most simple and basic make up I could muster before brushing my teeth and checking my appearance in the mirror. I was acceptable. I chucked my old red vans towards the door and hopped towards the kitchen as I pulled on a pair of ankle socks. I ran the plate and glass I had used for breakfast under hot water and gave them a quick wipe down before checking the time. I was completely ready with ten minutes to spare. I walked back towards the bathroom, picking up the clothes I had chucked off on my first trip along the way and threw them in the corner next to the shower. I quickly peed and cleaned up the mess of make up all over the sink just in time for a rapid fire of knocks attacked my door from multiple pairs of hands. I looked down at myself to make sure everything was in order before I flung the door open to let three of the four boys stumble inside.

“I told you not to lean against the door.” Luke sighed as he followed them in and threw me a grin. I gave each boy a hug except Calum who hadn’t quite warmed up to me as much as the others had yet and gave me a simple smile.

“Shall we go?” I asked as I cucked my phone in my handbag and pulled on my shoes. Each boy nodded or grunted in answer and I picked my keys up off the bench and held the door open. “Get the fuck out of my house then.”