Chapter 38

Dear Marley,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you on finally setting a wedding date! I actually thought you were going to die a spinster. Of course, I don't think Adam would have allowed it. I'm still waiting for my invitation, though!

Anyways, classes are going well. Head Duties take up a lot of time, but everything's been going well. Super well, actually. Speaking of which, I have some big news.

I'm dating James Potter.

Yes, I know, you can start screaming or throwing things or whatever reaction suits you best. But yes, it's true. I am dating James Potter.

And honestly, it's been amazing. I thought that we were complete opposites, but we're more alike than different. He always surprises me with what he does, though he still manages to be a total prat.

On a completely different note, I wanted to tell you that I'm learning wandless magic! Professor Flitwick has been teaching me how to summon my wand. It's thrilling and exhausting, but I love the challenge.

Anyways, other than that, it's business as usual. Between schedules and rounds and classes, I barely get any time to read or write to you. I promise I'll do better, though. Give my best to Adam!

"Lily?" floated a voice through a crack in her door.

"Up here!"

She heard a series of thumps outside her door until James opened it and poked his head in to check on her.

He was dressed for Quidditch, his broomstick hoisted on his shoulder. His goggles were strapped onto his forehead, his hair trapped underneath.

"I'm heading out to practice. Need anything from me?"

Lily shook her head, turning back to her letter. She signed it with a flourish and waited for the ink to dry.

"What's that?" James was still standing in the doorway. He pushed her door open further and crossed the threshold to hover over her.

"I'm posting a letter."

"To whom?"

"Marlene."

"McKinnon's girlfriend? Head Girl a few years back?"

"Yeah, though, she's his fiancée now."

James nodded, his eyes lighting with recognition. "I read her letter. At the beginning of term."

Lily snorted, remembering the nasty fight they had over that letter. "She's basically my role model. She's honestly one of the most amazing people I've met."

"Bar me."

Lily laughed. "Yes, bar you. Though sometimes, she has got you beat."

"I'm offended."

Lily shrugged, twirling her quill in her fingers. "I don't know what to tell you, mate."

James nudged her shoulder, causing her to look up at him. He placed a small kiss on her forehead, inhaling her scent. Lily's eyes were closed, a small smile on her lips. Her hair was pulled back, away from her face, giving James the perfect view of the slight smattering of freckles on her nose.

He pulled away. "I'll see you after practice."

Lily suddenly reached out and clasped the back of his robes, causing James to jerk to a stop. He turned around to face her, a questioning look in his eyes.

Lily, for her part, said nothing, and eyed him, the fabric of his robes still bunched up in her fist.

James raised his eyebrows. "Evans, are you checking me out?"