Chapter 12

Lily awoke to a tapping sound on the window. She opened her eyes and groaned as her sore muscles protested any movement. 

"Where is the snooze button on that noise?" groaned James, sleepily.

Lily realized that they must have fallen asleep while talking last night. He was on the couch across from her and turned away from her. Lily got up and walked over to the window, where she found the Hogwarts school owl, with a letter attached to its leg.

Lily shrieked. "It's here!" She clutched the letter in her hand.

"Goddamn it, woman. Some people are trying to sleep. What time is it?" James asked.

"Shut up, Potter." Lily sat down on the couch and tore open the envelope and unfolded the parchment.

Lily,

It's so good to finally hear from you! I thought you had forgotten about me. 

Auror training is going well. Our supervisor, Mad-Eye Moody works us to death, but I absolutely love it. I know I'm going to make a difference in the lives of wizards and witches. It's a scary world out there, but I like that I'm doing something useful with my time. It's a great profession, Lily, and I seriously think you should consider it. 

Lily, I am SO PROUD of you for making Head Girl. You are the only person I can think of that truly deserves it. You being muggleborn has no influence on Dumbledore's decision. You are a talented young witch and a hell of a leader too. I would be surprised if someone else made Head Girl instead of you. As for Head Boy, I have faith in you, Lily. You may hate him, but he's a natural leader too. I think both of you will do amazing, as long as he behaves himself.

My goodness, Lily. FIVE NEWT-level classes... are you trying to kill yourself? Of course, I expected nothing more from my little protegé. You should focus on your classes instead of complaining to me about James Potter. 

From what you've told me, it seems like he must be maturing, but if he's hiding things from you, he's not worth it, Lily. Don't get caught up into the façade that he puts out. If he can't tell you where he got a simple cut, how can you trust him to be on time for your meetings or do all of his duties? Lily, you know he's just interested in asking you out. You deserve someone better, someone who trusts you and who you trust as well. Tell me if I'm wrong, but if James Potter is lying to you, stop wasting your time with him. I just want the best for you, Lily. 

Give my love to Alice and Mary, too!

Missing you,

Marlene

PS: Adam thinks that making me wait as long as possible is not a big deal, but it's torture! Convince him so that I can see you again.

Lily frowned as she read the last paragraph of Marlene's letter. She didn't know how, but her feelings for James had changed last night. She realized that he really had matured and she was ready to trust him. She would wait for him to tell her whenever he felt ready, she owed him that much.

"Is everything alright?" James asked, sitting up from across her.

"Huh? Oh yeah, everything's fine. Will you excuse me? I have something I need to take care of." Lily threw down Marlene's letter on the table and ran up to her room to quickly write a reply and set the record straight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Marlene,

I want to tell you something because I feel like I might have given you the wrong idea about James.