Chapter 16

It was that time of the year again, Lily groaned, as she woke up with a scratchy throat. Every October, without fail, Lily got sick. Even if she tried everything to prevent it, she would get sick. Usually, it was something simple, like a common cold, that she just had to wait out and she would get better on her own. But, somehow, Lily felt that this year would be different.

Lily pushed the covers off of her and made her way into the bathroom where she began to brush her teeth. Moments later, James walked in, his hair sticking up in every direction and his shirt rumpled. Lily stopped brushing as he smiled at her.

"Morning, Lily," he said, as he picked up his own toothbrush. Lily gulped.

She had been so nervous around him after their interaction in the corridor. If she closed her eyes, she could still feel his thumb running over her skin. She had felt a churning in her stomach that day, but she attributed it to indigestion. There was no way she was falling for James Potter.

Lily spat out her toothpaste. "G'morning," she said, hastily as she quickly dried her hands and tried to back away from him.

James stopped her by putting his hand on her shoulder. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Where do you think you're going? You have toothpaste all over your face. Actually, it's not bad. Pretty much covers up all the ugly spots."

Lily gaped at him and hit his shoulder. "Shut up, Potter. You're uglier than I am."

James tsk'ed and shook his head disappointedly. "That's the best you got, Lils? Hmm, I expected better."

"Oh, cut me some slack. It's too early in the morning."

-------------------------------------------

When James got back to the dorm later that evening, Lily was nowhere to be seen. He shrugged and climbed the stairs to his room. He dumped his bag on his bed and took out a fresh sheet of parchment. He dug out his Defense textbook and flipped to the chapter on Lethifolds. He dipped his quill into a new bottle of ink and began to write:

Lethifolds are one of the most aggressive and violent Dark creatures present in the Wizarding World. Although they are very rare, their attacks can be deadly. They are usually present in tropical climates and only attack at night...

As his essay began to take shape, James craned his neck and massaged his hand which was beginning to cramp. He was drowning in all of his schoolwork and he just wanted a break.

"AGHH!" he screamed, to no one in particular. He pounded his head on his desk, trying to relieve some of his boredness.

"James?" asked a feeble voice by the doorway.

James lifted his head and gasped as he looked at the remains of the Lily Evans he knew. Her hair was matted and her face had taken on a crude green hue. Her eyes were puffy and dark as if she hadn't slept for days. Her tiny body was wrapped in an oversized robe, and it looked like every step she took pained her. He had never seen her like this before.

James got up and ran to her. "Lily! What happened? You were fine this morning."

"I'm just a bit ill, that's all," answered Lily, her voice raspy. "I heard you scream. Are you alright?"

"Forget about me. You need to rest, Lily. How long have you been like this?" James asked, placing a hand on the small of her back and ushering her towards her room.

She stopped abruptly and turned around to face him. "I'm fine, James," she said, crossly. "I just need to-"

Suddenly, she pressed a hand to her head as a wave of nausea rolled over her.