Chapter 9

James groggily opened his eyes and stretched his arms above his head, feeling a crick in his neck. He squinted, trying to take in his surroundings. The last thing he remembered was Lily... bandaging his wound? He lifted his sleeve to see that she had indeed finished wrapping it. He twisted his arm and reached toward the bandage trying to see the damage underneath.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

James jumped. In front of him, he could make out Lily's figure. She was leaning against the doorway with a mug in her hand. She walked toward him, set her mug on the table in front of him, and handed him his glasses. 

"Ah, much better. Thanks Lil."

Lily smiled at him, but he noticed there was a certain hardness around her eyes. James knew that her brilliant mind wouldn't rest until he'd answered all of her questions, but how could he do that?

"James, look, I know this whole friendship thing between us is new. I mean, we were pretty much enemies for almost six years. Anyways, I want you to know that I don't expect you to trust me right away, but I can't not know what happened. So, whenever you feel up to it, whether it's tomorrow or years from now, I'd really like to understand."

James gaped at her. How was she so perceptive? He sat up and looked straight into those beautiful green eyes of hers.

"Lily, I take this friendship seriously, I promise. And when I'm ready to talk about it, you'll be the first person I tell. It's just that-"

Lily held up her hand. "James, I don't need any excuses. I just needed to know that someday, you'll tell me."

James nodded as Lily quirked an eyebrow. "I still haven't gotten my thank you for saving your life yesterday."

James rolled his eyes. "You did not save my life. It was just a scratch."

"Mhmm, keep lying to yourself." She checked her watch. "By the way, classes start in half an hour so I think you should take a shower. You stink."

"I do not!" James said, defensively. Lily shook her head and made to leave the room. 

"Oh, and Lily, thanks for the blanket."

She looked over her shoulder and waved her hand dismissively. "Whatever, James."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the first week of classes came to a close, Lily couldn't contain her excitement. So much was going on in her life from Head Duties to classes to James. He had definitely matured, but he was keeping secrets from her. How could she trust him under those circumstances? 

Every time she saw him, they had pleasant conversations, but there was always this feeling nagging her. James knew that something was bothering her, and he had a pretty good idea of what it was. However, he never said anything, which bothered Lily to no end. 

 This weekend was just going to be about her. She would get her thoughts straight and focus on her schoolwork. She was going to push James and his secrets out of her head. She needed some time to relax and focus on herself. She smiled.

"Lils, why are you smiling? We just started our NEWT year and we're going to be swamped. I already have an Astronomy paper due on Monday," Mary complained.

Lily smiled at her. "Oh, my dear Mary. It's the weekend, nothing could make me happier. I can spend my afternoons relaxing and forgetting about this mess of a week."

Alice snorted. "I just think you can't wait to read Marlene's letter and tell her about how James is being a pain in the arse."

Marlene was Lily's role model and mentor. Marlene had also been one of the top students in her year and had graduated with flying colors. When she had graduated two years ago, she told Lily her dream of fighting Dark Wizards and was currently training to be an Auror. 

 Lily and Marlene could talk for hours about anything and everything. She was the older sister that Lily wished she had. Marlene was the one to comfort Lily when Petunia had excluded her once again. Marlene was her rock when she stopped being friends with Snape. Marlene was always there by her side when James was being particularly annoying. 

When Marlene left Hogwarts, Lily was devastated. Who was going to look out for her? Who would she be able to share her deepest fears with? Lily knew she had two amazing friends in Alice and Mary, but her relationship with Marlene was so different. So, after Marlene had left Hogwarts, they developed a system. Every weekend, they would send letters detailing everything that had happened to each other. Both of them lived busy lives, so they wanted to make sure they kept in touch. 

Lily ran up to the Head Common room, ignored Sir Cadogan's taunts, and threw her schoolbag on the couch, without looking. 

However, it made contact with a certain James Potter.

"Oomph! Lily, I'm a human being here!" he called behind her.

Lily ran up the stairs, ignoring him. "Not now, James! I have things to do!"

Lily opened the door to her room and quickly sat at her desk. She pulled out a fresh piece of parchment, dipped her quill in a new bottle of ink, and began to write. 

Dear Marlene,

How are you? I hope your Auror training is going well! 

I MADE HEAD GIRL!!! I was so surprised because I never imagined I would be Head Girl because I'm muggleborn and there were obviously so many better choices, but I love it so much. But, you'll never guess who made Head Boy. JAMES POTTER. Can you believe it? Of all the people Dumbledore could have chosen, he chose the ONE person who I can't stand. 

I'm so happy to be back at Hogwarts, even though I feel somewhat sad because I'm going to be leaving it so soon. I wish I could just stay here forever. It's my home and I have no idea what I'm going to be doing in the future, which scares the shit out of me. How did you do it? How did you know you wanted to be an Auror?

Anyways, my first week has been so crazy. On top of all my NEWT coursework (I'm taking five NEWT-level classes: DADA, Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, and Ancient Runes), I have to deal with James Potter. And let me tell you, it's not easy. My classes take up so much of my energy, but then I have to come back and deal with James.

Don't get me wrong, James Potter has definitely matured. He doesn't ask me out every five seconds, and he's actually nice to talk to. Since we're Heads, we've decided to put our past enmity behind us and try to be friends. It's actually worked out pretty well, except for this one incident.

So, one night, I was tutoring Dorcas Meadowes in the library and I see James Potter on the grounds. And I'm confused because why was he out there? Anyways, I go out to the grounds, but he's not there. I go to the Gryffindor Common Room to see if anyone has seen him, but no one has. So, I walk up back to my dorm, and wait for him, because I'm so sure that it was him out there. He walks in two hours later, looking like hell. I ask him where he was and he gives me some excuse how he was inside the castle. Then I notice this cut on his arm and it's fresh, but surrounded with dirt. I bandage it up for him, but I'm still confused. If he was inside the castle, how did his cut get dirt in it? I understand that we haven't been friends for long, but I think that I deserve an explanation, I was worried! James told me that I would be the first person to know once he felt ready to tell. It's so aggravating, not knowing what's going on.

So yeah, that's what's been on my mind this whole week and I can't even focus on anything else. I miss you so much, Marls! 

Love, 

Lily

PS: Tell Adam to move up your wedding date! I can't wait to see you.

Lily smiled as she finished her letter with a flourish. Adam McKinnon was Marlene's fiancé and was training to be an Auror alongside her. 

She gathered her letter to go send it. Suddenly, her cat, Calliope, brushed against her leg.

"Sorry, Callie, I need a Hogwarts owl to send this. I promise you can send my next letter." Lily said as she rubbed her cat.

She rushed down the stairs and out the door without a backward glance.