Chapter 37

"...So that's why the Mending Charm can't repair damage caused by Fiendfyre."

"Oh, I see now! Merlin, Lily, you have no idea how long I was struggling with that."

Lily laughed. "Trust me. I struggled with it for a while, too. It's a pretty complex concept."

She handed the textbook over to Dorcas, who was sitting across from her, quickly jotting down a few notes. Around her, the library was brimming with activity as students milled around, finishing their work. Lily rested her head on her arm as Dorcas penned the last few sentences on her parchment.

"Lily!"

Lily turned to see James walking towards her, his pace brisk. His hair was in an awful state of disarray, and creases lined his school robes. Lily felt the familiar thump in her chest as he drew closer.

"James, what's going on? I'm in the middle of–"

"Listen to me," James cut her off, "We have a problem."

"What? Is everything okay? Are you alright?"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," he said, dismissing her concern. "The schedule. I think I mucked it up. I have Jones patrolling with Remus on the 20th, but er–well... you know... he's busy."

"Oh."

James continued, "And I would take it over, but... I can't."

So, that was it then. He wasn't going to tell her... still. After almost a month of being together, he was still keeping secrets from her. And, it wasn't the fact that he was keeping it from her that bothered her. It was the fact that he didn't trust her enough with whatever was burdening him. And that hurt.

"Lils?" he asked, nudging her shoulder.

"Hmm?" She looked up at him with a pained smile, "Don't worry about it. I'll patrol with Jones."

"You're the best, Lily."

He pecked her on the cheek and squeezed her hand, his eyes full of gratitude. Lily just nodded, her throat dry.

He then turned to Dorcas and gave her a brilliant smile. "Hey there, Meadowes, how's it going?"

"Just trying my best to have even an ounce of Lily's brilliance," Dorcas replied, gesturing towards Lily.

James chuckled. "We'll all get there someday, trust me," he responded, with a friendly pat to Dorcas' shoulder.

He sent one last grateful look Lily's way before picking up his bag and walking away. Lily had barely processed any of the conversation, a glassy look in her eyes as her heart squeezed painfully in her chest.

"Is he always that dramatic?"

"Hmm?" Lily hummed, absently, still staring at the retreating form of James Potter.

"Potter, your boyfriend, whatever you call him. Is he always that dramatic?" repeated Dorcas, gesturing vaguely in his direction.

"He has a penchant for drama, yes."

Dorcas glanced at the older girl. "Are you alright, Lily?"

Lily nodded absently, giving Dorcas a small smile. "Yes, I'm perfectly fine. Sorry about that."

"You know," Dorcas began, "I never thought you would finally give into him."

Lily smiled at that. "Neither did I."

"So, what happened? He changed?"

Lily considered this. "No, I think we both changed in our own ways. I learned that it's okay to be reckless sometimes. And he learned that it's okay to follow the rules, sometimes. We're both really different people, but together, I think we work well. And he's cute." She smiled.