Chapter 12. Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Everyone took the rest of the day to relax and regroup. They had all been huddled together into Kalen's eerily quiet bedroom, somberly pondering the harsh reality of the obstacles they have yet to face. They spent what felt like hours on end discussing different possibilities to escape their fate, but none of that had proved to be useful in any capacity except to make them more miserable.

Callie was just as frustrated, yet decidedly unsatisfied with the lack of motivation she saw in the others. Her internal dialogue was firing like crazy as she began to brainstorm ways to help their current situation. Her thoughts turned to death and, more specifically, what the hell they were going to do to evade it. She finally decided that she needed a moment alone with her thoughts.

As she stepped out into the hallway, the girl could swear that she heard footsteps leading away into the living area. She cautiously took a step forward to investigate the strange noise.

"Hello?" she called out, not knowing what to expect. It's not like I need to be afraid of ghosts or anything, she thought with a smirk.

She wandered into the empty living room, and there wasn't another soul to be found. Callie exhaled deeply before sitting on the ripped sofa with her head in her hands. "I must be going crazy," she sighed.

"Callie," a voice suddenly called to her in very hushed tones. It was unmistakable now. Callie instantly stood, her guard up as she quickly surveyed every square inch of the cramped room.

The voice called to her again, the whispered words lingering in her ear. The call was comforting and enticing, like a mother's lullaby. Its gentle tune sang to Callie and coerced her into following its lead into the kitchen. Her blue eyes were glossy, her legs moving mechanically as it slowly guided her away.

"It's okay," it cooed. Goosebumps ran down her arms, and a soft smile spread along her parted pink lips. "It'll all be over soon, Callie."

Callie barely acknowledged her own actions as the hypnotic voice washed over her, purring happily in her ear. She could feel as a lighter sparked to life, the heat of the flames rising and licking at her face hungrily. She wasn't aware how long she stood there, the all encompassing smog taking a hold her brain from the inside.

She felt as a tiny hand reached out for hers, gripping tightly. She was able to glance down, only for a moment, as Addison closed his tired eyes and concentrated with all of his might on Callie.

Horrific flashes of light entered her brain, and then it was flooded by short clips of petrified screams of terror and anguish. Red hot flames burned all around the two, and she could only watch helplessly as innocent humans burned alive in front of her. The images of their burnt, melting flesh forever seared into her memories.

She could very vividly feel their pain as if it were her own. Callie cried out as the flames engulfed her. It ate away at her delicate skin of her face, consuming her body, mind and soul.

The sounds of screaming and terror in the hall outside the apartment were all it took to shake Callie from her foggy haze. Her breath returned to her body instantly and her heart began to race as she examined herself. Her skin remained intact, and she was more or less still alive.

Addison remained by her side and released her hands, his eyes now wide with fear. From outside, she could hear that the entire complex was in complete chaos. Running to the hall, she saw crowds of people swarming the stairway, searching desperately for an escape.

The others ran up behind her, just as confused and panicked as she. Before Kalen had a chance to open his mouth to ask any questions Callie grabbed him and Laila by the hands and dragged them towards the direction where the fire seemed to have started.