Chapter 10. Misery Doesn't Love Company.

"Okay, okay. Gently!" Kalen scolded as he and Callie carried the unconscious blonde girl to a more secluded spot in a park nearby. The little boy she was with followed silently behind them.

"Oh, my bad. I didn't mean to hurt the poor little dead girl. Maybe we should get her to a hospital or something Kalen!" Callie rolled her eyes, still holding up the girl's feet.

"At least you got the easy job," Kalen huffed as he held up her head and arms, trying his best to walk backwards while keeping her balanced perfectly in the air.

"Pft, enjoy it while you can. This is probably the closest you're ever gonna get to a girl," she scoffed.

"Yeah, well you seemed pretty cozy last night! Not that you really count."

That shut Callie up quickly. A blush crept to her cheeks either from embarrassment or anger, regardless she refused to acknowledge it. Kalen also felt the instant tension in the air from his words beginning to affect him. He didn't say anything more either until they found a space to put the blonde girl down.

"This spot will work. Just make sure you are very-"

Callie dropped the young girl's legs instantly and stretched out her arms without a second thought.

"Careful. I was going to say careful." He sighed and gingerly placed the young girl's head down on the long, soft green grass. The little boy joined them, no hint of emotion on his small, youthful face. Callie curiously studied him. She noted dark circles under the boy's eyes, and a small scar that stretched from his right temple to the tops of his cheek bone. Her eyebrows knitted together as she tried to get a closer look.

The girl sighed and rolled herself over onto her side as she began to wake. All eyes went from the strange little boy to the previously unconscious girl. She sat up with a dazed and confused look on her face. For a moment the trio only gawked in silence and held their breath, not knowing what to do in this particularly peculiar situation. At Callie's lack of reaction, Kalen huffed, and then made his way to the girl. She couldn't have been more than sixteen or seventeen years old.

"Excuse me, Miss. Are you okay?" he politely questioned, bending down on one knee to her level. Callie grunted impatiently. This girl seemed like a delicate little flower and that instantly rubbed Callie the wrong way, though she wasn't entirely sure why. Maybe it was the way she leaned on Kalen so helplessly, like a damsel in distress. That was one thing Callie would never let herself become, that she was certain of.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I just, after I realized that you two were... Well, like me... I just..." She was at a loss for words. Kalen smiled brightly and offered her his hand, which the girl gratefully took. Callie bit down hard on her lip and felt her fingernails dig into the flesh of her palms as she tried to keep her smart mouth in check. I'm losing my damn mind, she thought as she crossed her arms.

"It's okay. What's your name?" He pulled her up to face him, holding her softly as he made sure she was steady enough to hold herself upright.

"Laila. And this is Addison," she gestured to the young boy that Callie and Kalen had all but forgotten about. He just stood there and blinked in reply. Laila's eyes flickered to Addison, gazing at him lovingly.

Laila was objectively very beautiful. Her giant blue-green eyes contrasted greatly with her sun-kissed face, and her long, golden hair was the cherry on top of her perfect, all-american image.

"I'm Kalen, and my delightful friend here is Callie." Callie shot him a dirty look. Kalen couldn't help but smile.

"You don't say much, do ya kid?" Callie asked dryly, turning her attention back to Addison. He didn't even acknowledge her. Addison stared straight ahead, as if he saw something very fascinating off into the distance that none of the others could.