Chapter 9. Demons.

Chapter 9. Demons.

The snowflakes fell softly, like butterflies fluttering in the wind, gently placing themselves on Callie's pale cheeks and dark lashes. Her ice blue eyes closed as she let herself embrace the cold and feel at peace for the first time in a long time. The wind caressed her cool skin, whispering to her.

"Freedom," it seemed to say, it's seducing voice like silk. It left a bittersweet taste lingering in her mouth. "So close..."

Her eyes opened as she let out a breath, her lungs desperate for oxygen. Her chest tightened immediately and her eyes widened when she realized that there was no need for that. She was perfectly fine, yet choking and spluttering all in the same instant. Everything was so real and tangible. She felt so feeble and weak, really and truly weak, for the first time in her entire life.

This was her Hell.

The snowflakes fell faster now, materializing from nothing as they rapidly rained down out of the dark abyss from above. Callie couldn't make out the beautiful clear sky she had admired only moments before. She knew better than giving up and backing down from a challenge. Bracing her face with her arms, she braved the storm.

The sudden flurry attacked from all angles to get to the small, fragile little girl. Callie fought the feeling of fear building inside of her and forced herself to march on, feeling as though she'd been walking for hours and in return getting absolutely nowhere. The wind licked her face, turning it ice cold, along with her lungs, her heart, her soul. Her arms went limp. Callie finally dropped to her knees as she succumbed to the cold darkness.

"Good, Callie," an eerie, inhuman voice called to her. "Yes, that's right. Let go. Be free."

Her eyes opened just slightly for a moment. Appearing in her fingers, materializing from nothing but cold air and pitch black evil, was a slick, sharp little dagger.

"Free..." The wind carried the words soothingly into her ears again. "You want it."

She gripped the weapon tightly and closed her eyes, lost in a trance as the soothing voice hypnotized the girl. She didn't want to fight it. Looking at her reflection in the tiny blade, she saw a person looking back that she didn't recognize. In the midst of all of the chaos around her, she saw the person clear as day, and that person was not Callie. It was a sinister, dark version of what she used to be.

"You know you do!"

Her mouth opened, but no words came out. Tears formed in her eyes, but the girl in the blade's eyes were perfectly clear; the only thing off about her eyes was the cloudy glimmer of some ominous force. Callie shuddered violently before raising her arms, the dagger aiming downwards.

"No!" another voice called to her, one that she hadn't heard before, yet it was so familiar. It was almost calming. She blinked, unable to speak. It didn't belong to the Voice that called out to her earlier, promising her great, great things. It was rough, anxious, desperate.

Her eyes were wild with anticipation and fear as she was about to thrust the knife into the soft flesh of her belly when they locked with the reflection of the blade for the last time. The girl was gone, and a new set of eyes were boring into hers. Soft honey, light and caring. They paralyzed her. As she continued to stare a sorry, strangled noise came from her throat.

"No. No, don't listen to him. You want it! Do it!"

She shook her head, still unable to fully communicate. The dagger wavered in her grasp, but she couldn't release it. Callie let her tears spill down her face and soak into the snow piling up beneath her. Her sobs were soundless.