12 - Time To Talk

(Hunter's POV)

After Ryder fell asleep, I started to think about how her past could affect her future. She doesn't trust people very well, after what her uncle did to her.

Just thinking about her uncle makes me mad and upset.

I hope she's not like this forever: everything coming back to haunt her and then her starting to cry uncontrollably.

I was deep in thought when a knock on Ryder's door startled me. The door opened and Ryder's aunt poked her head in.

"Is she alright? I didn't mean to upset her," Kari said.

"Yeah, she's okay now, I guess, I don't think it was anything you said. I think a lot of things are still bothering her, and she's never really tried to deal with them or talk with someone about it. She hasn't really talked to me about it much. I think it's just hard for her to talk about everything without losing her composure," I replied.

"Do you think I should get her an appointment with a therapist, or something like that?"

I thought about it. I wasn't quite sure. I didn't want to make her talk if she doesn't feel like she needs to, but it could be beneficial, too.

(Ryder's POV)

When I wake up, the morning sun is just reaching thought the slits between the blinds. I yawn and begin to sit up, but stop when I feel an arm draped over my shoulder. I look over to see Hunter asleep with his eyes closed.

He's so adorable!

I smile and put my head back on his chest. Being alone is a bad thing for me. It gives me nothing to focus on. I just start looking on the bad side of things. I try not to, but I can't help it.

What if I have to move again?  What if Hunter has to leave Nashville for something? What if Hunter gets so busy he doesn't have the time for me? What if I get in the way of Hunter living his dream? What if-

"Good morning sweet thing," Hunter says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I look up at him. "Good morning, Hunt."

"I love it when you call me 'Hunt'," Hunter said.

"Really?! Your mom said you hate that nickname," I told him, suprised.

"Usually I do. But, there's just something about the way you say it."

I smile and we continue talking. When we notice the clock reads "7:45", we get up out of bed, and Hunter goes to his room to get dressed.

A few minutes later, I'm dressed and walking down the stairs. When I get down the stairs I look in the dining room to see Hunter and Aunt Kari eating pancakes and bacon. As I'm walking up to the table, Aunt Kari speaks up.

"How'd you sleep?"

"Um...alright..I guess."

"Okay...well, I'm going to get you guys' your school books, and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me?"

I sure hope she's not just bring me along so she can talk to me about what happened last night between her and me.

"Alright, I'll go," I said, giving her the benefit of the doubt.

"We're leaving in a half-an-hour, so you need to get ready."

I nodded me head and sat down next to Hunter.

"Are you suspicious?" I asked Hunter as soon as Aunt Kari left the table and was far enough away, to where she couldn't hear me.

"About what?"

"Aunt Kari. It seems like she hiding something from us. I don't have any idea what it could be, but I know it must have something to do with why she left the family."

"I don't know. Maybe she won't tell you why, because it's something that we don't need to worry about. Or, maybe it just brings back some bad memories and she doesn't want that to happen."

We debated until it was time to get ready to go.

*A Little While Later, in the Car*

I had convinced Hunter to go with me so I wasn't alone with Aunt Kari. I was sitting in the back with him. About ten minutes into the drive, Aunt Kari pulled into a random parking lot. I looked out the window and saw a two-story building that looked like a doctor's office.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, completely puzzled.

"You'll see," Aunt Kari said, opening here door and getting out

I looked over at Hunter and gave him a puzzled look.

"It's for your own good, Ryder," he said, making me rather scared. I wasn't scared of Hunter, I was just scared of what was going on.

Hunter unbuckled his seat-belt and got out. Cautiously, I did the same. I shut my door and caught up to my aunt and Hunter, who'd already gotten to the door. Aunt Kari opened the door and held it open so Hunter could grab it. Once he had his hand on the door, he gestured for me to go in.

"After you."

"Well, thank you." I walked in.

"You're welcome." Hunter followed me in.

Aunt Kari led us through a door and a couple hall-ways before stopping before a door with the word "therapist" printed on the door in white letters. I stopped in my tracks when I saw what was priinted on the door.

No, no, no, no , NO!

"I'm not going in there! You can't make me!" I yelled.

"Ryder-," Hunter started.

 I cut him off. "No! I can't believe you went along with her on this. You know I don't want to go to a therapist! I said that a million times!" I stared to walk back outside to the car.

"Ryder Clarisse, get back her!" My aunt called.

"No."

"Right now."

"No. I'm not a child. I'm sixteen. I can start making decisions for myself, and this is one of those decisions," I said back, without turning around.

I got all the way outside before being stopped by someone grabbing my shoulder. I whipped around to see Hunter.

"I only said yes to it, because I want to help you. Not just, because I want to. I'm doing this for you, so is your aunt. She's doing this, because she wants you to get better. She didn't deserve to be yelled at like that. Why don't you want to go?" he asked.

"I'm just scared. I don't want to be alone."

"But, you're not alone. Me and Kari are here for you. Will you go if I sta with you and hold your hand the whole time?"

I thought about it.

"Alright. Let's go back."

A/N: Hello, guys! It's an update! I should have another up sometime this week. I would've updated earlier, but my birthday was on the 28th, so I was busy with that. Anyway, don't forget to vote and tell me what you think!

                                                      -Katlyn