6 - Dinner

(Ryder's POV)

I woke up from "sleeping" about 25 minutes later. After yawning and rubbing my eyes, I looked up at Hunter. His eyes met mine.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Hey, I replied back.

We kept our eyes glued on each other. I looked at his lips.

They look so kissable!

Before I knew it, I noticed I was leaning in slightly. I quickly stopped myself.

I can't do that. It would just cause more problems.

As I moved my head back, I looked at Hunter again. He was moving his head back too. At that moment, I realized that I wasn't the only one that leaned in. There was an awkward silence. Hunter opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by a knock on the door before he could say anything.

"Come on in," Hunter allowed, turning his head toward the door.

The door opened to reveal Leo.

"Dinners ready," he announced.

"Okay, we'll be out in a second," Hunter replied.

Leo nodded and walked out to the dinning room.

"Ryder," Hunter said.

"Yeah?"

"You're gonna have to get up in order for me to get up." he chuckled.

"Oh, yeah. Sorry." I sat up and let Hunter get up.

"It's alright. There's no reason to be sorry," he reassured.

Hunter walked over to me, put his left arm around me and helped me up.  He supported me as we walked out of the room, down the hallway and to the dinning room table. He let go as soon as I sat down. I looked at Hunter and mouthed "thank you". He mouthed "you're welcome" and sat down in his chair, which was next to mine.

He's such a gentleman!

Lynette came over to the table with a pot, and set it down. She looked at me and Hunter.

"Gumbo."

I'd had gumbo once before. Dad had gotten sick once and Mom had to take him to the hospital. Well, no one in my family could watch me, so I was going to go with my Mom and Dad. But, this nice family from Louisiana, who had just lost one of their family members to cancer, offered to look after me. My mom accepted and I stayed with them. When Mom came to pick me up, they gave her a bowl of homemade gumbo for my Dad. My Dad had an allergy to seafood, so he let me eat it. It was pretty good, I must say.

Lynette sat down in her chair across from me, and Leo sat down next to her, across from Hunter. The Hayes folded there hands. I followed, surprised. Not many families in Sacramento actually went to Church or prayed. Leo said the blessing and we did the sign of the Cross after he finished.

Lynette grabbed a ladle off the table and put it in the pot.

"May I have your bowl so I can get you some Ryder?" she asked.

I nodded my head and handed her the bowl. She fulled it with gumbo from the pot and handed it back.  I wanted to be polite and say "thank you", but I was scared. I thought about how nice they've been to me.

They've been so nice to be. I should return the favor.

"Thank you."

Lynette smiled. "You're welcome."

I looked over at Leo and Hunter to see them smiling as well. I didn't feel scared. I felt comfortable. I felt like I had finally found a place to fit in. I felt confident for the first time since moving to Louisiana. I decided to start conversation.