11 - Hiding Something

(Ryder's POV)

When we got to the airport in Lafayette, I started to think about how Hunter's music could effect our relationship in the future. My cousin was a musician and I barely got to see him because he was always so busy. I know that it's different because Hunter's in the same city as me and we're dating, but I'm still scared. I want him to live his dream, but I also don't want to lose him. I don't want him to give up on his dream because of me. He's happier when he's playing and writing music than when he's doing anything else. I don't want to get in the way of that. If I ever start to. . .well. . .that's when I need to let him go.

But I don't ever want to.

I don't remember much after we got on the plane. The only thing I remember is falling asleep with my head on Hunter's shoulder

*********Later That Night*********

The next thing I know, we pull into a driveway. Looking up at the house, I notice it's a two story like Uncle Charles.

Just the thought of him scares me!

The house has a two car garage and a small yard. I can't see much else, because it's dark out.

"Alright," Aunt Kari started as she put the car in park and took the key out of the ignition, "here we are. Let's get your bags and get inside."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened my door. I was sitting in the back with Hunter, so I opened my door and got out before he could get out of his. He walked around to my side of the car.

"I could've opened it for you, you know."

"I know, but I wanted to do it myself this time," I told him.

Hunter was about to reply, but my aunt called us from the back of the car.

"Ryder! Hunter! You guys need to get your bags so we can get inside."

Me and Hunter walked to the trunk of the car and got our stuff out. My aunt walked in front of us and opened the door. The house was like your normal two story house, inside. There were carpeted stairs that led to the second story, a regular sized kitchen and your normal sized living room and family room.

"Ryder, your room is upstairs. It's the second door on the right. Hunter, yours is the first door on the left," Aunt Kari explained.

I nodded and started making my way up to my room, with Hunter following me up the stairs like a puppy.

**********A Little While Later**********

Aunt Kari ended up buying pizza for dinner because it was so late. While we were sitting at the table eating dinner, I couldn't help but feel like Aunt Kary was hiding something. Or, she wasn't telling me something that needed to be said. I had the feeling when Hunter and I walked out of the school and I saw her. The feeling has just gotten stronger throughout the day.

About halfway through dinner, Hunter got a call from his parents. He excused himself and went upstairs to his room. I took the opportunity to ask my aunt why she left.

"So, why'd you walk out on the family?"

She looked caught off guard.

"Well...I didn't walk out on the family just to walk out on them. I had my reasons," she said with no emotion.

"What were the reasons?" I asked, wanting a better explanation.

"Why I left is none of you business. The reasons are personal. Too personal for anyone but me to know about," Aunt Kari said, raising her voice just a bit.

For some reason, what she said ticked me off.

"Fine. I'm sorry I ever asked," I said with an attitude. I stood up from my chair and walked up to my room, ignoring her calling me back to the table. Once in my room, I slammed the door and locked it. All of a sudden, all the emotions of the past few months came flooding back. The memories of my parents and 7-year-old brother getting shot, the day my uncle started abusing me, the day he broke my leg and gave me a concussion. All the memories of kids bullying me and harassing me about all the bruises and injuries when Hunter wasn't around to catch them. It was all too much. My emotion got the best of me and I started to sob. I threw myself onto my bed and bawled my eyes out.

Someone knocked on my door.

I stopped long enough to get the words "go away" out before continuing to cry.

"Please let me in Ryder. I can't stand you crying and not being able to comfort you," I heard Hunter's voice say from the other side of the door.

I got up off my bed and opened the door to let him in. His arms immediately wrapped me up in a hug. I put my arms around him, and cried into his chest. He walked in my room a few steps, causing me to take a few steps back. He took one arm off me and used it the shut the door.

"What are you doing Hunter?" I managed to ask.

"Closing the door so we can sit alone."

We moved over to the bed, where we both sat down. Hunter laid down and pulled me down with him. I put my head on his chest. He put his arm on my shoulder. I continued to cry before falling asleep with Hunter.

A/N: So, what did you all think? I know it's a little bit shorter than the other parts, but as I said in the Author's Note, they might be a tiny bit shorter. The drama will pick up a bit in the next few chapters. You may or may not find out what Kari's hiding. Maybe she's hiding more than one thing. You never know. Anyway, Next chapter will be out soon!

                                                 -Katlyn