2 - School

3 Weeks Later

(Ryder's POV)

The past few weeks have been complete hell. Everyday, all day; chores. I feel like a real life Cinderella, and trust me, it sucks. The thing that's made it worse is the punishment. No matter what, even if I do everything I'm told, I still get a beating. Charles will slap me, punch me and kick me. He even had his Pit-Bull attack me because I forgot to get the dog some food! In my opinion, the dog could use a little less food, if you know what I mean.

School's starting today. I'm not looking forward to it. Last time I switched schools and whatnot, I got made fun of because of my love of country music. This time, I'm in a place where country music is accepted, but I have to deal with hiding bruises and cuts and the fact that I don't talk. Since moving in with my uncle, I haven't said a word. But, something tells me that that's about to change.

I open my dark blue eyes, and stretch my achy body. The bright morning sunshine causes me to squint. I pull the covers off my body, stand up and walk over to my dresser. After randomly picking clothes out of my crappy plastic drawers, I end up with my L.A. Kings shirt and some jeans. Once I'm dressed, I walk into the bathroom and examine my arms. Their completely covered in bruises and cuts and so is my face. I use some make up to cover the bruises, but I can't seem to hide the cuts. I decide to leave them, and finish getting ready. Afterwards, I step put of the bathroom and look at the clock. It reads 6:58. I have to be at school by 7:30. Once I've made sure I have enough time, I get my shoes on and walk down to the kitchen to get breakfeast. As soon as I'm done, I make my lunch. I pack a PB and J, some pretzels and a Gatorade. I check the clock to see what time it is. It's 7:13. Perfect time! It'll take me about 10 minutes to walk to school, and all I have to do is grab my lunch and my backpack. Next, I grab my things and start walkin'.

I arrive right on time, and head to the office to get my schedule and locker number. As soon as I get what I need from the office, I go off to my first class: math. It's not my favorite subject, but it's my best. As I'm walking down the halls towards the class room, I run into someone.

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" a young male voice asks.

I look up to see a young boy around my age with blond hair and dreamy, bright blue eyes. He was rather cute. I nodded my head, still being mute.

"I'm Hunter. What's your name?" he asks me.

Before doing anything or saying anything, I think for a moment. I'm scared of saying or doing someting wrong. But, before I know it, for the first time in a month, my mouth opens to do something more than scream.

"I'm Ryder. Nice to meet you,"

"You've got a beautiful name," he told me.

I could feel the extreme blush in my cheeks. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. So, what's your first class?"

"Math. Yours?"

"Mine too! Wanna walk with me?"

I smiled the biggest smile. "Sure."

Me and Hunter walked to our class.

During Class, we had to pick partners. I was worried that I'd end up being stuck with a bratty girl or a mean jock. The first person that came up to me was Hunter.

"Wanna be partners?" Hunter asked, with a smile.

"Sure. But, I thought you'd pick someone else. I mean, not that I don't want to be your partner, but I thought you would have a best friend that you'd rather pick," I replied, sounding like a dork.

"No. You're actually my only friend," he admitted, "but only if being friends is okay with you."

Gosh, can this boy get any nicer or more adorable? I mean seriously! I thought to myself.

"Being friends is fine with me," I agreed.

"Awesome," Hunter answered.

Just as the words finished coming out of Hunter's mouth, the teacher asked us to sit in our seats. The rest of class was pretty much just the teacher lecturing us on what we'll learn throughout the year. To me, that's not a very effective first day. Once class ended, me and Hunter started to talk some more.

"So, what's your next class?" Hunter wondered.

"Hold on, let me look," I answered. I grabbed my schedule out of my pocket and unfolded it. "P.E., what's yours?"

"Mine's P.E. too," he exclaimed. "Can I see your schedule?"

"Sure," I responded. And I handed him the paper. He grabbed his out and studied them.

"You're not gonna believe this."

"What?" I asked.

"We've got all the same classes," he exclaimed, with a huge smile on his face.

"Seriously?,"  I asked, surprised. Hunter handed me the papers. "Oh lordie!" I screamed in excitement, and started to jump up and down.

Hunter just smiled and chuckled, looking at me. I stopped hopping.

"What? Did I do something?" I questioned.

He just kept smiling.

This boy is getting cuter by the minute!

At the end of the day, me and Hunter were still hooked at the hip; we hadn't left each other's side all day long. By the time we were out the school gate, it was like we had known each other for years. As we were walking out, Hunter asked a question.

"What way is your house?"

I turned my head to look him in the eye.

"It's that way," I told him, pointing to the left.

"So's mine. Wanna walk together?"

"Alright."

When we got close to my house, I spoke up. I didn't want Charles to see me with a boy and hurt Hunter and then make my beating even worse.

"Well, I better go. My house is just up here, so...bye," I said.

(Hunter's POV)

Ryder said goodbye rather quickly. It made me wonder if something was up with her at home. Before she completely walked away, I stopped her by softly grabbing her arm.

"Ow," she screamed in pain.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to grab your arm that hard," I apologized, worried that she'd be mad.

"It's okay, Hunter," she reassured me.

Man, can she not say my name! It's driving me crazy! It's not that I don't like it, as a matter of fact, I love it, like I love her! What am I saying? I just met her this morning! I thought to myself.

"if you ever wanna come over to my house, it's the white and blue one down that street, okay," I told her.

"I'll keep that in mind," She told me.

There was an awkward silence before we finally said 'goodbye' to each other. I acted like I was walking home, but I hid  behind a bush, so she wouldn't see me watch her. As soon as I saw what house she was walking into, I wished I could go in there and get her out.

A/N: HI! So what do you guys think? I was trying to figure out a way for Ryder to meet Hunter later, but I couldn't figure out a good way. So, he's in the story a bit earlier than I wanted, but I hope you like it! Please comment so I know what you think, or I won't continue, it makes me feel like I'm just writing for myself when you don't.