Chapter 15

Orientation

I followed the directory bots, which were basically trash cans with screens; and eventually reached the open doorway to the auditorium, a large room that housed about 5,000 bolted down chairs. I sat down in the middle row with a seat near the isle. I grimaced, the chairs were poorly cushioned, probably a tactic to keep kids awake. I looked around and noted that the boys and girls were dressed differently, the girls jumpsuits being a slightly darker blue than the boy's sky blue jumpsuits, many were standing in groups and talking, making me feel like a loner. Another tone rang out and a female voice said, "Please be seated."

I sat up and made room for the other kids coming down my row, paying more attention to the man walking on stage. He was tall and wore a green jumpsuit with pockets on the legs, like cargo pants. But that wasn't what caught my attention, it was his hair. Bright blue and sticking up as though he had been electrocuted, it was by far the most attention grabbing thing in this drab room, which may have been the point. I couldn't tell from here, but it looked like he had a mechanical leg, which were rare nowadays, genetics and DNA manipulation has made it so that doctors could just grow new body parts, they were of course expensive; but nothing a soldier couldn't afford. He stood patiently as everyone took their seats and quieted down.

After sufficient time had passed he began. "Welcome cadets" he said.

This clearly wasn't his first time doing orientation, the greeting sounded worn out, like it had been rehearsed too many times. "Welcome to your new home, the Omega Tetrad."

I raised my eyebrows, I had never even heard of a Tetrad, and that's surprising considering how much technical reading I do. He continued, "you are all here because you signed up, whether on accident or on purpose," He said this with a slight laugh, the other students clearly found it amusing as well, I however did not.

"You are all here because you signed up," he repeated "to join the Alliance, to protect the colonies on the edge of space, to remove the scourge of pirates, the tyranny of the drederians, and to assist all those in need!"

I had to admit, the guy had a way of making you think that he'd jump out of a air lock if he thought it was for the good of the alliance.

But he wasn't convincing me... Yet.