Chapter 8: Jen's Birthday

The sun was slowly coming through my window on the Friday morning of my eighteenth birthday. Strange, I felt completely different than I did a week ago. More mature maybe? My whole life had changed, I can see why I would as well. A week ago I was so immature, so stupid, so mean, a bitch. Its true that I still feel like I wouldn't be a hero, I'd never be a hero. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't do the right thing once or twice. Thinking about the past week, it seemed like years. I don't recognize myself anymore, I'm not Jennifer Sanders, sweet little girl, but I'm not truly Jynx, hardened villain who does whatever the hell she wants. Just like Spiderman, I'll have a secret identity, I'm Jen. Huh, I guess age does really make you wiser, weird. I petted the little black lump beside me called Pearl and waited for something to happen. Emily told me not to get out of bed until something happened, I was kinda scared, knowing Emily. Pearl uncurled herself and yawned, I picked her up and held her. Suddenly my curtains closed shut and everyone was a grey-ish black..looks like its time for my birthday to begin.... My radio flicked onto my favorite song while my dresser flung out clothes on top of my bed. Emily burst in with coffee and a muffin.

"Get up Jenny! It's time to celebrate your eighteen-y-ness!" Handing me a very sweet cup of coffee and a lemon muffin. I sleepily got out of bed sipping my drink and watching her flail around my room looking   for a big baggy shirt.

"What the hell are you looking for? And what time is it?"

"The shirt that you came to Manhattan in, I didn't throw it away. It's seven something." Still digging through my hamper.

"The hell Em, I want to sleep." Grumpily biting my muffin. Yum lemon, my favorite.

"We have a big day! I know the perfect way to celebrate your birthday." Smiling up at me when she found what she was looking for. It was the baggy black shirt that I was wearing on the plane, I had been wearing it for a while so it was worn and had a few holes.

"How." Another sip of coffee. The coffee helped, but I was still annoyed at the earliness. True I was already up, but that does not mean I was fully awake.

"Remember how you said you wanted to re-invent yourself? I thought today would be perfect! I have some hair-dye and some outfit ideas for Jynx." She smiled at me and dragged me out of the room. After finishing my small breakfast she sat me down in a stool and showed me a few boxes.

"Okay, so we have normal hair colors. Blond, brown, ginger. Then we have blue, green, and firetruck red." 

"How about a combination? Brown and blue?" Her face lit up as she got out the bleach.

"I had a hunch you'd pick that." She started to work on my hair, bleaching the whole thing a sickly white, I did not look good blond. She died most of my hair a fancy chocolate brown, maybe a shade or two darker than my natural hair color. After dunking my head in the bathtub, she started on blue highlights and tips, along with making my face-framers a deep dark blue. After it was done, it was such a pretty color. My hair looked great.

"I love it! and it only took two hours."

"Ha, only..."

"Oh come on, you look awesome!"

"It does look good."

"Now, we go look for a Jynx outfit." She shoved me into my room to get changed. I picked out a red spaghetti strap with a couple back diamonds on the side, dark blue skinny jeans and the smallest blue wedges I owned, which were one inch. I made sure to slip on my leather gloves before touching anything that could break, or rust, or short out, or rot...I pretty much always wear those gloves. Finishing with a little eyeshadow and liner and walked out to see Emily was all ready to go. She had a green sparkly top with a jean skirt and three inch heels. She was much more girly than I was.