10, Love

Ooooooh, guys, this chapter is one of my favorites, and I bet you'll love it, too! Things seriously heat up now! The drawings are in progress, so be looking forward to those later this week! The above picture is not mine, either, but was perfect for this chapter.

A few hours had passed in the kitchen. On top of being finished with baking all the cakes, Hana had managed to torte, fill, and crumb coat all the chilled cakes. She would be able to start assembling the cake soon. She was on schedule.

When the dinner rush came, Hana found herself helping the royal chefs. Two of them had come down with fever, and they were short staffed. But Hana didn't mind at all. She felt useful in the kitchen. Happy. She had bonded with many of the chefs there; she had no idea that she could ever be so happy in the castle. She had friends all around her. A job. And. "Obi." "Huh?" "You and Obi! So what's the deal, huh? I haven't had any updates in a while, you know!" said Kareine, her closest friend from the kitchen. "Oh! I'm so sorry, Kareine! It has been a while since we've talked last, hasn't it?" "You two seem very close to each other, much closer than when you first showed up," Jasmine, the older head chef, chimed in. Hana smiled softly. "I-I suppose we are." She walked to the sink, setting a plate within the sudsy water and picking up a rag. "No, no, Hana, you've done plenty. It's time for you to retire from here. Go clean yourself up and rest now," Jasmine ordered. Hana nodded, heading out the door. "Let's talk soon, ok?!" Kareine shouted, waving to her friend. Hana turned around and smiled at her, nodding, waving back.

Hana relaxed, nose deep within her lavender-scented bubble bath. She had never known this kind of luxury. She felt guilty about it. She was here, in the castle of all places, surrounded by kind-hearted people, all her needs being met. And Koji was there. At that hell hole. Hana wished so badly that she could share this with him. Was he being treated well enough? Getting all his meals? And what would happen when her job was over? Would she continue to be able to see Obi? No. Of course not. But she already knew that. She sighed, saddened by the thought. She wanted so badly to tell him. To tell them all. She unplugged her bath, stepping out of the tub, and wringed out her hair. She had been here for quite a few weeks now, and her bruise was nearly gone, she noticed. She slipped on her bed clothes, a short, light blue night gown with spaghetti straps. She grabbed a brush, and brushing her wavy hair partly over her shoulder, she walked out of the bathroom, thinking of, "Obi!" Hana exclaimed, shocked to see him in her room so late in the night.

Obi had been waiting quite anxiously for Hana on her bed. He had noticed earlier from in the trees that she was still up. Admittedly, it took almost everything in him not to go see her while she bathed. The thought had entered his mind more than once. But then she opened the door, and he braced himself for what he might or might not see.

She was still just as lovely as ever, with all her hair down. He had not realized how long and thick it was. And to see her in such a short gown, no less. She was quite the sight.

"What are you doing here so late, Obi?" Hana asked, forgetting that she was even in her silk gown. Obi stood up. "I came to see you of course." "To see me?" This late? Hana blushed at the thought. He approached her, placing his hands casually around her hips. Hana worked hard to keep her breathing in check, for her heart was nearly ready to pound out of her chest. "I have a surprise for you," Obi started, thinking about whether he wanted to take her out for what he had originally planned, or if he wanted to keep her in here. He could feel her heart racing. He took her hands and stepped back, smiling. No. He couldn't have her here just yet. Hana looked up at him anxiously. "It's outside." "Oh, o-outside?" Hana shook the images she had conjured out of her head away, not sure whether or not she was feeling disappointed or relieved. Either way, she was quite happy to see him. "You can even stay in your nightgown, too; it's awfully cute," Obi teased with a grin. Hana giggled. "If we're going outside, I think I'll change. No peaking now," she said, grabbing a change of clothes and walking to the bathroom once more. Obi smiled; if only she knew how long he had already been there, not peaking.

"Where are you taking me, Obi?" Hana asked, blind folded with Obi's bandana, her hands cupped together at her chest, as Obi lead from behind, his hands on her shoulders as he guided her. "I told you it's a surprise." "This late, though?" It was passed midnight now.

"Ok," he walked around in front of her, grabbing both her hands. "Remember how you said you wanted to see the gardens, to see the roses you would be gathering in a couple of weeks?" Hana nodded. "Well, here we are." Obi removed his bandana from around her, tying back onto himself. Hana gasped at the sight. The harvest moon was out, shining brightly on a large fountain of sparkling water. The large pathway was stone, lined with lit candles and rose petals, with a small, beautiful picnic set up right in the middle. Along the path were the beautiful red rose bushes which expanded throughout the whole garden. Obi... i-it's beautiful. You did this... for me? You shouldn't have," Hana's hands cupped her mouth, and her eyes wide in awe. "What? Don't think you're worth it?" He playfully asked, pulling her along with him to the blanket and sitting down. He poured her glass of wine. She accepted it, feeling a little overwhelmed. He pulled out a plate of grapes, cheeses, and sandwiches from the basket. "Is there a reason for all of this?" she asked, looking all around her. "You're not a good enough reason?" "Oh! Well I... uh.." Hana looked around, caught on her words, not sure how to respond. Obi laughed, "I'm only teasing," he started, pulling a box from the basket. "Oh?" "I wanted to give you this," Obi said, holding up the small, rectangular box, wrapped and tied with a ribbon. "Oh, Obi, you shouldn't have," Hana said, reaching for the box. She opened it gingerly, and gasped, "Obi, it's beautiful!" She held up the wooden rose hair pin. "This must have cost you so much!" "Actually, I made it." She gasped again, her eyes wide; she didn't deserve this. "Obi! You really shouldn't have, I-I-I—"

Obi suddenly pressed his lips firmly against hers. Her whole world stopped right then, and she closed her eyes, lost in a daze as she kissed him back, both their hearts racing as the rest of the world melted away.

Obi leaned back and smiled at her as she opened her eyes. He took the pin from her, and touched his forehead to hers as he leaned in again. He gently put most her bangs back behind her ear, revealing her face. "Now you have no excuse to hide your pretty face behind your hair anymore," he said softly, placing the pin in for her, holding her hair in place. "There," he said, sitting up straight, "that's much better." Hana stared absent mindedly at him. And she knew. She knew right then that she had fallen in love with him. She leaned into him, not really thinking clearly anymore, and placed her hands on either side of his face, as she gazed into his eyes-- they were so strong, yet gentle at the same time. She grazed his lips with hers, scared and unsure, but desperate for her worries and the rest of the world to melt away once more. Even if it was selfish.

He was lost in her eyes. They were so hypnotic. So mysterious, yet comforting. His heart beat faster as her lips grazed his. He wrapped his arm around her waist, strongly pulling her onto his lap, leaving no room between their bodies, and placed his free hand over the back of her head, forcing her lips fully onto his as he deepened their kiss, never wanting to let her go.

He loved her.