2, The Job Offer

"You're always doing this," Koji stated, wrapping a bandage around Hana's severely bruised arm. "Next time the master won't be so easy on you." Hana sighed, looking at her arm, and thought of the paddling she had just taken to it. The bruise was already nearly black, covering a third of her forearm; it was quite tender. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply, "I know, Koji. But it's almost like being free when I go out there." Koji became even more upset at her, speaking sternly now, "Hana, we're slaves. We'll never be free. You should really stop going out; it's not worth it," he told her, not wanting to see hurt again. "Yes, I know," Hana replied, standing up and ruffling Koji's hair, and lovingly kissing his forehead. She had not meant to make him so upset this morning. "Come now, we must open the master's shop, regardless of how either of us feels this morning. There is work to be done," she said, lowing her dress sleeve back down to cover the bandage. They were not allowed to display their injuries.

The shop's shelves and window displays were filled with varieties of pastries, breads, pies, and beautiful cakes of all shapes and sizes. The shop was quite busy today, and Hana was thankful. It always made the day go by quickly, and the master would be happy and in a good mood tonight with the sales. Hopefully they would have an easy evening.

"Oh, a chocolate cake? We actually just sold our last one, but Hana here can make you one to order, isn't that right, Hana?" "Oh!" Hana looked over to her master, "yes, please tell me what you would like," Hana said, pulling out a notebook and jotting down a sketch of what the customer wanted. "There, so a two tiered chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, and one big edible rose, yes?" Hana's voice was soft, as usual, as she showed the customer the design. "It's perfect! How much will this cost me?" "Well, for something like this..." Hana walked away as her mistress began talking numbers, going over to the display window to add the basket of the artisan loaves that she and Koji had finished earlier.

"Ah, I found you, Miss!" Obi greeted, feeling successful, but of course, he knew he'd locate her. He always finds what he's looking for.

"Huh?" Hana looked up, pleasantly surprised, to see the boy she had bumped into earlier. "Y-you've been looking for me?" she asked curiously, though also amused. "Of course. You dropped all these when you bumped into me. I thought I'd take it upon myself to return them," Obi explained, holding a basket full of beets up with his index and middle fingers. "My beets! Oh, thank you so much..." He smiled and offered her the basket. Hana graciously accepted it, feeling suddenly uncomfortable about the situation. Like a burden. She bowed her head to him, "I-I'm sorry for inconveniencing you." Obi, amused, laughed; this girl really was quite odd. "No need to apologize, Miss; in fact, it's actually a good thing I bumped into you again," he said, looking around the shop. "Huh?" Hana, asked, watching him.

Obi rested an arm on the counter, looking specifically at cakes now. "Say, did you make all these cakes? I bet you did." Hana nodded. "You must be quite the baker, then, huh?" Hana's face flushed red, "I... I suppose some people would say that," she responded, her gaze down as her hair slipped even more over her face.

"Hana here is the best baker in all of Clarines!" the shop owner boasted, eager to make a sale. "Is that so? Looking around, I'd have to say that I believe it." "And what can we help you with today?" "Well, as some of you may know, the Second Prince of Clarines is to be married soon." The shop keeper nodded, "oh, yes! It's the talk of the town. Quite unusual!" "Well anyways, I've been tasked with finding a baker that can handle the load of baking, decorating, and serving the cake." Shock and awe immediately covered the faces of everyone working the shop. "The Second Prince?? Well Hana here is definitely your girl!" "What?" Hana spoke, agasp. "So your name's Hana, huh? Well I'm Obi. It's nice to officially meet you, Miss Hana." Obi introduced, leaning in slightly closer to her, glad to now know her name. Hana stood frozen still, her face slightly flushed from her current situation: she was to bake a cake for royalty.

"She'll be required to stay in the castle until after the wedding. Of course, you will be greatly compensated for your employee's time, as well as any losses that your shop may suffer without her." "The castle?" Hana's voice was still soft, her words echoing in the background between Obi and her master. "Oh, that'll be just fine, so long as we are compensated! Just imagine, one of our very own employees taking on a project so grand! Business will truly flourish!" "It surely will. It's agreed then. I'll be back in three days for her. I'll be seeing you around, Miss Hana." Obi said with a quick wink as he walked out of the bakery, not giving her much of a chance to protest. "O...o... ok," Hana muttered, her face flushed and her head spinning around, barely even paying attention to anything; the castle. The prince. This boy. The wedding. It was all more than a little overwhelming.