5

At the end of August Ann went on vacation with a couple of friends for two weeks and in the meantime I was left here. Alone. Doing nothing, as usual.

So the day she was supposed to be back I barely restrained myself from going over to see her. It was late already and I didn't want to disturb her, I thought she might have been tired from the flight and that I was probably the last thing she needed at that moment.

I waited for the next day, when finally I rang her doorbell at 10am. I knew I should have waited a little longer but she was a morning person after all and even if she was still sleeping, well, she would have woken up for me.

As the door opened, Ann stood in front of me already dressed and made up.

"Going somewhere?" I asked before I could stop myself, I should have said something like 'Welcome back' or whatever it is you say to someone who's been away for a while.

"I was expecting you last night." She smiled and motioned for me to come inside.

"Uh... I didn't want to disturb you."

She arched an eyebrow. "Really?"

"Yeah. Well, welcome back." God, could I be any more awkward? I was standing in front of her and didn't know if I should hug her or what. Instead, I just stood there like an idiot.

"Gee, thanks." She laughed and then stared at me. "Are you going to hug me or are we going to stare at each other for an hour?"

If I could see myself right now I was probably blushing. I stepped closer to her and hugged her briefly, it was after all the first real hug we'd shared. She looked up at me as I stepped back. "Have you grown taller? Kids these days sure grow fast."

I smiled. "More like you've become shorter, you know you're getting old and all..."

She looked at me incredulously and smacked my arm. "You know, I haven't missed you at all."

I feigned being hurt. "Aw. And here I thought you couldn't wait to see me."

"Nope, definitely not."

We both smiled at each other.

"I should probably leave, it seems like you're going somewhere."

"You could come with me. If you want of course."

"Where?"

"I'm just going grocery shopping, my fridge's empty. Come on."

"Uh, now?" I looked down at myself. I wasn't dressed for going out, even if just to the supermarket. I looked like a beggar who hadn't changed clothes in days.

"Of course."

"But-" I tried protesting before she dragged me by the arm.

"You look fine, come on!"

*~*

It took us an hour to go to the supermarket across the street and come back with three bags full of food.

As soon as we got into the house I flopped down on the couch and closed my eyes.

"Aren't you going to help me?" I heard Ann's voice asking from the kitchen.

"Nope. I carried the heaviest bag, remember?"

"That must have been really tiring, hmm?"

"You have no idea."

I didn't hear her say anything anymore so I let myself relax on the couch.

Only maybe twenty minutes later as I was drifting off to sleep, did I feel Ann nudging my legs. I opened one eye carefully.