20

Kaylee got off the stool and coming near me whispered in my ear, "She's in denial." And with that walked off.

What the hell?

I felt my stomach drop as I watched Kaylee's back leaving.

Ann kissed a woman last night.

She's in denial.

What?

What did that mean? I couldn't wrap my head around those two sentences put together and what they implied.

This couldn't be a misunderstanding, right? I heard everything correctly, or so I wanted to believe. If Ann really was in denial about being gay or... just liking women... that still didn't mean that I had a chance with her at all.

It more likely meant that she was confused and I was the last thing on her mind.

I poured myself a glass of water and tried to not think about any of that right now. I had to get back to the living room and act normal in front of Ann, like I hadn't just been presented with the biggest revelation from her sister.

I took a deep breath and left the kitchen. When Kaylee saw me she gave me a long meaningful look that contained a little too much amusement for my liking. I looked away from her and sat down on my spot on the couch.

Ann was avoiding looking at me and I was avoiding looking at Kaylee. We sat there in silence for a while, watching the TV attentively until Kaylee suddenly (and completely spontaneously) had a coughing fit. I couldn't help but laugh at her lame attempt to ease the awkwardness and I saw Ann smiling as well.

"You're not a good actress." Ann said, while patting Kaylee's back.

"What, *cough* what do you *cough* mean?"

"I know it was a dream of yours to become an actress but really, you made the best choice in not taking that pat."

Kaylee's coughing stopped then and she sighed disappointedly. "Well, at least now we won't be staring awkwardly at the TV." She said and switched it off with the remote.

"I was actually watching that." I protested.

"Too bad." Kaylee got up from the couch and looked down at me and Ann. "Since neither of you wants to tell me what happened, let's see if I can get it out of you when you're here together."

"Kay, please." Ann reprimanded.

"No, but really. You need to clarify whatever happened between you two."

Ann was about to say something again but I beat her to it. "We've already clarified."

Kaylee turned her attention to me now. "Clarified what?"

"The-" The words died in my mouth under Ann's glare, "the, yeah the thing."

Kaylee arched an eyebrow. "The thing?"

It was obvious that I was the easier target and that Kaylee knew that. Before I could say anything I felt Ann shift nearer to me, pressing her thigh to mine and taking my hand in hers.