15

I was getting ready for a night out, if you could consider going to my neighbor's house a 'night out'.

I honestly didn't want to go, seeing as there would be other people I didn't know. But Ann forced me. She insisted so much that had I request anything, I was sure she would have done it as long as I agreed to go.

My parents had gone out for the night while my brother was at a sleepover party, so I was home alone and I was casually avoiding looking at the time. I wished I could just lay down and fall asleep, instead of having to socialize with people I didn't know and with whom I had nothing in common.

I sighed when I heard my phone ring, I was expecting a message or something from Ann to remind me that I was late and here it was. I let it go to voicemail and finally got up, getting the keys and putting on a pair of shoes.

I knocked on Ann's door and she opened instantly, smiling brightly at me.

"You're late."

"Yeah, I fell asleep." I said and glanced towards the living room, hearing chatter coming out of that direction. Ann had told me she'd invited just a couple of her friends plus me and her sister.

I followed her and found myself in front of three girls sitting on the couch. I recognized her sister who smiled warmly up at me while the other two girls stared curiously.

"Guys, this is Cam." Ann announced, then pointing from left to right. "Cam, my sister Kaylee, Chloe and Emma."

I smiled tentatively. "Hello."

Kaylee was the first to speak and tried her best to make me feel comfortable even though I was kind of the outsider of the group.

We moved to the kitchen and sat around the table as we watched Emma cook. Emma was pretty short, she barely reached my shoulders and was in general tiny. She had short blonde hair and a pretty face. She'd offered to cook for everyone tonight since she was apparently the only one who was remotely good at it.

In front of me, sitting on a stool, was Chloe. She had a short dress on that accentuated everything that could be accentuated on her body. She was tall and fit and attractively confident in her body. I actually wondered if she was planning on going somewhere else with that outfit but didn't comment.

Kaylee had dyed her hair red and this time was dressed more casually than the last time I saw her.

Next to me was Ann, who was bantering with her sister and Chloe while stealing glances at me, checking if I was okay.

I found myself smiling at their antics and laughing at whatever Kaylee said, she was funny and the most outgoing of the group.

"So, Cam. How's school going?" Kaylee asked when they had quieted down and I felt everyone turn their attention to me.

"It's going well, I actually have exams coming up."

"Ugh, that was the worst part of college. Hope they go well."

"Yeah, hopefully I'll pass."

At that point Emma turned around and announced that it was ready, making everyone cheer. Ann helped serving and when everyone sat down we got ready to eat.

"Wait, we have to say a prayer first." Kaylee said.

I must have looked at her weirdly because she laughed.

"As if you believe in God." Emma interjected, rolling her eyes and taking her fork in her hand.

I looked down at my plate, it was some type of pasta with broccoli. I wasn't crazy about pasta (or broccoli even) but I ate pretty much anything so I had no complaints.