(3.5) The Light Fury

"Marriage?" Astrid smiles, a laugh passes through her lips.

"Oh sure, and hey. If you're having doubts on yours truly, I'm pretty sure Snotlout is free." I'm smiling again, the bottom of my staff clunks against the ground.

"He only has eyes for your mom."

"Damn. Playing dirty now?" I lumber over to her, my smile growing even bigger.

"You asked for it. Looks like their might be a wedding after all." She walks past me, heading towards her dragon.

"That is a low-blow. How dare you? No no no no. You are not getting away." I grab her by the wrist as she passes by, pulling her back to me. She smiles, pecking me on the lips. I start to kiss her again, but Toothless suddenly comes flying by diving into the forest.

"Geez, alright bud. Don't wait on us." I release Astrid, and walk after him. Astrid follows me closely. We pass through trees, and around bushes following the rough trail that Toothless left behind.

Suddenly a plasma blast takes out the tree to my immediate left.

"Shit!" I shout, diving to my right. Astrid does the same, and gives me an awestruck look. 

"That couldn't have been..." She trails off as we both scramble to our feet, Astrid helping me, before going as fast as possible towards where the blast came from.

"Oh my gods." Standing right next to Toothless was a pure white softer version of him. She seemed to hear me, and fired another blast. This one was directed must closer to the two of us. Astrid shouts as she tackles me to the ground. It takes me a second to shake away the memory of before, but once I'm on my feet again the dragon takes off.

I stumble over to Toothless, who is instantly nuzzling me and checking on me. The dragon lets off a shot and disappears fully into the clouds.

"Another Night Fury." Astrid mutters.

"No no no. This ones different, more like a, like a Bright Fury." I nod, happy with the name until Astrid speaks.

"Light Fury."

"Yeah, yours is better..."

-//-

"It was crazy, just gone!" Astrid was telling the story of the Light Fury while we sat in the Great Hall.

Fishlegs nudges me, showing me the drawing he was doing.

"Close. Stubbier-ears, no dorsal plates." I hand the drawing back and looked back down at my prosthetic. I was making a few adjustments, nothing major. Toothless comes up to me, and bumps me with his nose, licking my arm. "What- what is all this slobbering and panting?"

I wipe the slobber off on a cloth and scratch Toothless' ears.

"Don't you see, he's in love." Astrid speaks from behind me, a laughing tone in her voice.

"Love!" I shout, before lowering my voice. I lean towards Toothless, "Trust me, relationships are nothing but pain and misery."

Astrid smacks the back of my head, causing me to snort. I watch as Toothless runs away, watching two Deadly Nadders show their love for one another. He starts dancing with his shadow, which is honestly a pretty funny sight.

I sigh, clipping my leg back on and standing to my feet. "Alright bud, lets head back to the woods. See if we can find her."

Toothless perks up at my words, bouncing over to me, then back to the wall, then to me.

"Ah! Good idea!" Tuffnut throws his arm over my shoulder, nearly knocking me over. "A little privacy. It's boy talk."

I decide against fighting him on this, and remove myself from under his arm and limp off into the direction of the forest. Tuff follows behind, acting all dignified and above everyone. It was pretty funny to watch.

"So, wanna get married?" He said it with such seriousness that I actually believed he was asking me to marry him.

"No."

"Good news! I've been to two weddings, I crashed both, but none as high profile as this one. Lots of pressure, judgement, not just by me." He strokes his 'beard' as he speaks.

"Look, we aren't getting married. We've talked, and decided that we jus-" He sticks his finger in my face, forcing me to stop walking.

"Cold feet! I've seen it before! Don't worry little Hicky, I'm here." Tuffnut walks off, leaving me just as confused as before.

"Hicky?" I mutter, chasing after him.

"Now, I've seen the way Astrid looks at you. Everyone has doubts. That not-so-subtle disappointment. That longing for something more. You need to focus on being worthy. I mean, she's a warrior queen for Thor's sake! And you are...neither. But with me as your best man, your spirit guide if you will, you'll learn to embrace your inner Viking. Show these naysayers, of which there are many, that you are more than just a malnourished runt with bad hair, strange teeth and a twig for a neck." Tuffnut strokes his beard once again, looking at me as he finishes.

"You are terrible at giving pep talks." I don't have bad hair, subconsciously I reach up and touch the ends of my hair.

"Stop letting these insecurities get the best of you my young friend." Tuffnut says with all seriousness.

"I'm older than you." I reply bluntly.

He fake glares at me. "Everyone, and I mean everyone, is watching. You need to man up. Do as I do. It will be hard, but you have my word."

A glint of light hits my eyes, and I move towards a small object in the ground. I pick it up, looking it over, and ignoring Tuffnut. Toothless was circling the area that the Light Fury had been in before, and when he finds no sign of her he starts to walk back towards me.

"Toothless!" In my fear, I put to much power into my voice, startling Toothless back. "Don't move bud."

I look at the ground in front of us, it looks undisturbed, but looks can be deceiving. Tuffnut tries to continue talking but I shut him up with a look. I close my eyes, listening to the sound of the wind through the grass. When I open my eyes, I pull a ball of fire to my fingers and spread a thin layer over the grass. The ground sparkles.

Sparkles. It's not suppose to do that.

I release the fire, and stand straight up. Tuffnut tries to say something but I shush him again. I lift my staff and ready myself to react. I poke the end of my staff into the ring, and rip it back. The force of the metal bending knocks me onto my butt as I stare in shock at the massive closed trap.

Toothless leaps around it, running to my side and snuffing my hair affectionately.

"What the fuck?" Tuffnut looks at me with a startled look.

The sheer size of the trap was alarming enough, and it was triggered so easily. I've never seen anything like this, and the fact that it was so close to the village terrified me. I didn't want anything to happen to dragons. It is my duty to protect not only the villagers of Berk but the dragons as well. All of the dragons.