(2.6) Eyes

My dad's helmet clatters against the ground as he approaches my mother. She looks terrified as he slowly approaches her.

"I know, I know what you're going to say Stoick. How could I've done this? Stayed, stayed away all these years. Why didn't I come back to you? To our son." Her eyes grow wide as my dad gets closer to her. "Well what sigh did I have that you could change? That any of you could change? I pleaded so many times so many times to stop the fighting, to find another answer, but did any of you listen?"

I watched as she backed up further and further. Trapper herself between the ice and my father who was slowly getting closer. I could see tears starting to form in her eyes.

"I know that I left you alone to raise Hiccup, but I thought that he was better off without me. And I was wrong, I know that now, but," She pulls away just as my dad puts a hand against her cheek, "Oh stop being so stoic Stoick! Go on... Shout! Scream! Say something!"

"You're as beautiful as the day I lost you." My mother immediately softens into his hand. He pulls her closer and wipes a tear away. He slowly kisses her, and that's when I look away. Something about this moment seemed to tender for prying eyes. I grabbed Gobber by the shoulder and pulled him through the tunnels to my mothers rooms.

My mother and father comes through a few minutes later, my father looks at her like she is her world and honestly it's the sweetest. My mother starts too put together a dinner for us (fish). Toothless and Cloudjumper linger close-bye waiting for something to be dropped.

"Mom! You'd never recognize it! Where we used to make weapons, we now build saddles, wing slings, even fix dragon teeth. You wouldn't believe how everything's changed!" My mom offers me a skittish half smile, before handing me a plate.

"Our son has changed Berk for the better. I think we did well with this one Val." My dad's voice was low and soft as he spoke to my mother. He places his hands on her shoulders, startling her which leads to a plate hitting the ground.

"I'm a little out of practice." I watch as my mother pulls away from dad.

"Well, I didn't marry you for your cooking." Stoick laughs a bit at that.

"I hope no'. Her mea'balls could kill mo' beas's then a man. I've still go' a few kno'ing around in here. Ha!" He laughs loudly before taking a bite of the fish. He retches and dumps the rest of them into Grump's mouth.

"And once you move back in mom, with all your dragons, Drago won't even stand a chance. Everything will be okay!" I was already planning all of the changes that I'd make to the island when my dad interrupted my train of thought.

"Slow down son. It's a lot to take in." He was looking at my mother as he said this. He starts to whistle a tune, and I could see my mother tense up at the sound of it.

"Remember our song Val?" He approaches her slowly and begins to sing an old courting song. "I'll swim and sail on savage seas/ with ne'er a fear of drowning./ And gladly ride the waves of life,/ if you will marry me."

My mother avoids his eyes as he keeps singing.

"No scorching sun, nor freezing rain./ Will stop me on my journey./ If you will promise me your heart  and love-. And love?" He sighs and starts to move away from my mother before she continues.

"And love me for eternity."  My father smiles as my mother brushes past him into the open space of the room. She holds her forearm up as an invitation and my father joins her. "My dearest one, my darling dear/ your mighty words astound me. But/ I've no need of mighty deeds,/ when I feel your mighty arms around me."

They start this clumsy dance around the room, as I watch on with starstruck eyes.

"But I would bring you rings of gold/ I'd even sing you poetry./ And I would keep you you from all harm!/ If you would stay beside me." My mother laughs at that before continuing to sing.

"I have no use for rings of gold/ I care not for your poetry./ I only want your hand to hold./ I only want you near me." Gobber grabs me and lifts me to my feet joining in the dance.

My parents sing together, "To love to kiss to sweetly hold./ For the dancing and the dreaming,/ Through all life's sorrows and delights,/ I'll keep your love inside me."

I watch as they spin round and round, laughing loudly and picking up the tempo. "I'll swim and sail on savage sea's/ with ne'er a fear of drowning./ And gladly ride the waves off life, if you will marry me!

They stop dancing and start laughing, very winded and happy. Stoick starts to speak again, "Ah.. I'd thought I'd have to die before we'd have that dance again."

"No need to be drastic measures." My mother says this with a laugh.

"For you my dear... Anything." He looked at her with love in his eyes, and it made me the happiest to see them like this.

Together.

Suddenly, my dad got down on one knee, holding his hands out to Valka. "Will you come home Val? Will you be my wife once again?"

Toothless nudges my mom closer to my dad. My dad grabs the two of us and hugs us close.

"We can be a family again! What do you say Val?" My mother smiles at the two of us with tears in her eyes.

"Yes!" My dad laughs and hugs us closer.

"Gre' I'll do th' cookin!" Gobber pipes in, bringing another round of laughter through the three of us.

"Thank Odin you didn't listen to me my boy." Dad smacks me on the shoulder, "Otherwise we never would've found each other."

Suddenly Toothless and Cloudjumper begin to panic. I hear it too, a whirling noise coming from outside. I'm pulled away, put in a trance. I grab Toothless' harness and climb on his back before I could really realize what I was doing. I could hear my mom and dad behind me shouting about stopping and asking where I was going.

It was pulling me. I wanted to stop but something was stronger than I was. This deep noise echoed throughout my head bringing me closer to an unknown source.

Toothless broke through the ice and hovered just above the peak of the safe haven. Stretched out as far as the eye could see was an army. I kept pulling and forcing my way out of the control of the dragon. It took everything in me to pull from it's control.

It was a Bewilderbeast. It just broke through the water at the front of the fleet, it's control becoming stronger since it's breach of the water. Toothless wasn't having an issue with the dragon itself, just with me. He kept trying to pull us away from in the sight of the dragon, but I had better control with the harness on his back. The fight between the two of us was short lived, ending with Toothless winning. He flew to the nearest cliff and shook me off of his back.

When I hit the ground I seemed to be knocked out of alignment with the Bewilderbeast. I was breathing heavy when my mom and dad came and joined me.

"Hiccup! What in Odin's name happened?" My dad got to me first, helping me to my feet. I continued my heavy breathing just as my mother looked over my face for any injuries.

She froze.

"Hiccup. Your eyes."