(2.10) Until We Meet Again

Alpha.

I never thought I would be chief, let alone the Alpha. It was different going about my day as chief. Everyone wanted something from me and I just had to do the best I could with what I had. My mother is with me every step of the way in a moral and physical sense.

After what happened on the dragon sanctuary, the injuries that I received from Toothless' blast were substantial. I had to learn how to do a lot of things again. But my mother was there, and Astrid was patient. But I never got angry with Toothless, I never held it against him. It wasn't his fault, it wasn't him.

I know that, especially after feeling the control of the Alpha itself.

The strangest part was being Alpha myself. I had a strange pull over the dragons now, even more so than before. The population of Berk double within the week. But it's not that they were only drawn to me, they listened to me. Easily. I was always called in when a tussle began, or an issue came up. It was nice, being needed.

Sometimes I would remember how it used to be, before the dragons, before the village liked me. I'd fall into a slump for a few days, but Astrid could always get me out of it.

Astrid.

I was courting her, officially now. It was just another thing to add to the list, but she was the only person around who knew how to help me. Plus, she didn't care about the changes that I went through, she was with here at every step of the way through my recovery.

[This is Berk.]

I walk up the stairs with Toothless at my side, my prosthetic clunks, and my staff thunks as I walk.

[A bit trampled and busted and covered in ice.]

The top of the platform looks out at all of Berk. My mother waits for me at the top of the stairs, she holds her hand out and takes mine.

[But it's home. It's our home.]

The teens sit atop their dragons waiting for the race to begin. My fathers chair sits at the top, a large imposing throne. I sit in the chair, lean my staff against the side, and look out at the Berkians.

[Those who attacked us are relentless and crazy. But those who stopped them? Even more so.]

Gobber waits for me to give him the signal.

[We are small in numbers, but we stand for something bigger than us, something greater than us.]

I nod once, and Gobber's face lights up, "Let the race begin!"

[I am the voice of peace, and bit by bit we will all change the world.]

The teens take off, flying through all of Berk, snagging sheep as they go.

[You see, we have something no one else has. Oh sure, they might have armies and armada's.]

Astrid swoops by me dropping sheep into her basket.

[But we, we have something even stronger, even better.]

Toothless coos, laying his head on my lap. I smile, scratching his head. I could feel pride swarming inside my chest.

[We have dragons.]

The Berkians whoop and holler as Astrid gains another point. In a fit of cockiness, she flies next to me and pulls me in for a kiss. When she pulls back I smile, and tell her to win this race.

When I sit down, my father is standing next to me. He smiles proudly. His voice fills the wind, telling me how proud he is, how great of a job I'll do.

A single tear rolls down my cheek as I look to my mother. When I look to where my father was he is gone once again. I smile sadly, and whisper to the wind;

"Until we meet again."