(2.7) The New Alpha

"What? What's wrong?" My head was pounding as I looked up at my mom. A distinct ache was behind my eyes. I pulled away from the two off them, and just as I went to take a few steps back I nearly fell to the ground. Toothless caught me, holding me up with his head.

"They're blue." My mother covered her mouth with her hand as she reached out to touch my cheek again. "Like the Bewilderbeast?"

I was still so confused. My head was whirling, and then I was startled by the shouts of the soldiers at our doors.

"We'll deal with this later, we've got to protect the dragons." My mother spoke quickly, and began to storm off.

"Val." She turns back. " We do this together. As a family."

Mom nods, and the two of them run off calling their dragons as they go. I dive off the ledge with Toothless, I scan the terrain as we go, watching as hundreds of the sanctuary dragons dive through taking out trappers as they go. Boulders from catapults fly past us, smashing into the sanctuary breaking it to bits.

Armored dragon's appear, smashing into our dragons. Metal domes open as Toothless and I screech across the sky, I watch as our dragons fly into them, effectively getting trapped inside them. Suddenly Barf and Belch appears from one of the traps.

"Ye-ah!!" The twins shout as they fly from the traps. All of the teens fly free. Joining me in the sky.

"Get the dragons free! Take out as many traps as you can! Go go go!" I shout at the teens, and watch as they all fly in separate directions, doing just as I asked. More projectiles come flying at us as we go, but Toothless and I avoid them with ease. Taking out trap after trap.

Toothless lets out one of his powerful screeches, and with my fire combined we take out dozens of catapults in one go. We come to a hover beside Astrid, as well as Eret.

"Well then, welcome aboard dragon rider!"

Eret replies sheepishly, "Thanks, I think."

I wince as Astrid glares at me, but I could tell she was happy to see me, you know, alive.

"Where have you been?" She shouts, bringing Stormfly close enough to punch me in the arm.

"Oh, you know, catching up with mom." She looked confused at my words, but looked as I pointed to just behind her.

My mother rises on the back of Cloudjumper above the tower of spikes. An earth shattering roar pierces the air.

"That's your mother!" Astrid shouts over the roar.

"Well, now you know where I get my dramatic flare." I flip the front down on my mask, and do a roll with Toothless, taking a dive towards the ground.

We dive bomb dozens of trappers, knocking hundreds of dragons free. I watch in fear as Drago's Bewilderbeast lumbers towards the sanctuaries. They lock tusks, battling back and forth. Which effectively distracts Drago's army. With that in mind, all of the teen's and I release every trapped dragon.

I see my mother out of the corner of my eyes try and distract our Alpha from fighting. My dad was fighting Drago on the ground below. My dad is disarmed, and just as I take of flying at him, Gobber supplies him with another weapon.

I hear my mother scream, and watch with horror as Drago's Bewilderbeast takes down the Alpha.

"No." My voice was barely above a whisper. All of the dragon's around us land, bowing to acknowledge the new Alpha. "Hold on bud. You can do this. Focus on me, not the Alpha."

Toothless shudders in response, but holds firm to me. I see the Alpha blast in my mothers direction, and suddenly we're off. Flying in the direction of my mother. But I stop, I could see my dad helping my mother, and I couldn't risk Toothless' safety.

I could see Drago on the battlefield, so I directed Toothless towards him.

"No! Stop!" We land a few feet away from him, and chuck my helmet to the side. Drago begins to laugh a massive, villain-y laugh.

"This... This is the great Dragon Master? Son of Stoick the Vast?" He looks me up and down incredulously, "What disappointment he must feel."

Ooh, that stung. Toothless readies a blast, but I stop him with a wave of my arm.

"All of this loss, and for what? To become impossible? To rule the world?" I question him, motioning to the people around us. "Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together."

"Or tear them apart." Drago laughs with a mocking tone, and removes his false arm (that I honestly didn't even notice he had). "You see, I know what it's like, to live in fear. To see my village burned, my family taken."

He reattaches his arm and begins to circle me, looking me up and down. "But even as a boy, left with nothing, I vowed to rise above the fear of dragons and liberate the people of this world."

"Then why a dragon army?" I put emphasis on the word dragon.

He looks smug, "Well, you need dragon's to conquer other dragons."

"Or maybe you need dragons to conquer people." My voice was much more confident than I felt. "To control those who follow you, and to get rid of those who don't."

"Clever boy." His tone was condescending, he readjust his bullhook in his hand and approaches me once again.

"The world wants peace. And we have the answer, back on Berk. Just let me sh-"

"Let me show you!" He shouts over me, summoning the Bewilderbeast. Toothless begins to circle me protectively but I stop him, pushing him behind me.

Drago's wails cease, and he stabs his bullhook into the ground. The Bewilderbeast bows submissively.

"No dragon can resist the Alpha's command. So he who controls the Alpha, controls them all." Drago points his bullhook at the Alpha, and then at Toothless.

But I was in front of Toothless.

The Bewilderbeast spines vibrated at a certain frequency. Tearing it's way through my head. A shout passes through my lips as I nearly crash to the ground. I press the palms of my hands to the sides of my head. Pain searing through as I try to force it out.

I could hear Toothless cooing at me, his head was just behind me. But I couldn't respond. I couldn't do anything but feel the pain of the Bewilderbeast. The pain stops. Everything stops.

Suddenly I'm no longer in control of my actions.

"What a turn of events." Drago's voice echoes in my head, "But not what I wanted."

He starts shouting again, the Bewilderbeast's control still wrapped tight around me, but less so. The Alpha turns to Toothless.

Toothless fell into the control quicker than I did. His gaze turned to me, and I to him. But I couldn't control my own body. I just stood there as Toothless fired off one shot, I felt no pain. But the second?

It was like nothing I had ever felt before.