An old friend

I focused on changing my scent about half-way through the drive and the smell of a werewolf that didn't actually exist set me and Derik both on edge.

Overly aware of how small and weak I was compared to how I usually am a nervous slope set into my shoulders.

When we got to the regional's house my eyes teared up involuntarily and I wished I could look at everything without being threatened. Derik rolled his obviously tense shoulders and set a cocky grin on his face.

He got out of his seat on lazily strolled over to my side of the car before picking up my leash. With my ears flat against my head I glanced at the white patio and walked up the familiar stairs with Derik.

I stared nervously at my paws.

A maid greeted us and led us to the formal dinning room and I had to resist treating the place like my home. However once we got to the room filled with loud and possibly angry vampires my confidence took a swan dive.

Under normal circumstances I would have been fine but without having half the strength I usually did and being at risk of being ganged up on and possibly discovered I wasn't assuming things would go my way.

Chatter died down and everyone turned to look at who had entered. The whole room smelled like blood and fancy food.

"Everyone's here, welcome to the party!" Some cocky red head at the head of the table said. Resisting the urge to growl I discreetly accessed him, from what I'd seen I seriously hope he isn't the one that replaced my father.

"Regional," Derik said with a slight nod. My heart sank that they thought that quack was qualified to be the Regional.

Derik took a chair at a table and I sat next to him. Still less than comfortable I sneaked glances at everyone. Then something caught my eye a familiar head of blond hair.

The kind man from the pet shop looked worse for wear. With how sympathetic he was a job anywhere managing the world must be horrendous.

Imagine wanting the best for the world and seeing the worst every day.

"Alright, everyone knows how this works, if not you'll get it in a second. I'd like to confirm that there is nothing any of you need my help with or if there's something I should know." The red head, which I refuse to ever call Regional, said in a bored manor.

Thankfully unlike in my human form I could control my want to growl.

Though some had troubled or angry looks on their face none spoke up. With the drawn-out silence I looked around and took in the appearance of some of the pets.

Some pets were seated next to their masters, some on the floor, and some uncomfortably on their masters' laps. Most were pale, malnourished, tired, and injured not to mention terrified.

Small plates of untouched food and water sat in front of most of the pets while some had just water or nothing.

Almost all the vampires had pets but a few were clearly in between pets. Only two or three pets looked like they were treated the way they deserved.

I swear vampires know nothing about humans. If for no other reason, if they fed their pets more they could drink from them more.

A few looked okay-ish but many more had fresh bite marks and bruises. A few were breathing heavily from either too tight collars or fear.

And not a single heart-rate was normal, mine was probably the slowest but that could be excused by most were-wolves being more confident in wolf form.

Sympathetic I decided I'd make a distraction to give them a small break later tonight. If they were lucky they could sleep.

"Alright then!" the 'Regional' announced loudly and all eyes were instantly brought to him. "This meeting is traditionally two days and I don't want anyone to think I'm not doing my job so I kindly suggest you all stay here. Enjoy dinner and you can all retire to your rooms in, say, two-three hours."