Chapter 2

Chapter 2

"Let me drive," Sam said as they approached Farrah's car after her shift ended. She smiled.

"No, thanks. My car's sensitive when it comes to the accelerator, and you can't get her to slow down for anything." He nodded.

"Alright."

They climbed into the car, and Sam looked around at the nice interior of the otherwise cheap car. "We both have questions," Farrah started, "so how about you ask yours first, since you are the older one."

"Okay. So, what exactly do you know about me?"

"Everything Mom did. She never stopped talking about you," Farrah giggled. "I know you hunt ghosts and ghouls, the things that hide in closets and under beds. Although I didn't know about demons until you said something, I had my suspicions that they were real. And angels of course."

"Are you a Christian?" The question was blatant, almost...rhetorical it sounded.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. I pray every night that God will keep me safe from the evil plaguing society, and I attend church occasionally."

He nodded. "Okay." After a moment of silence, he said, "And you? Are you a...hunter?"

"In a sense. I mean, if there's something fishy going on around town I look into it the best I can, but a girl can only go so far on favors." She turned off the main street. "Mm, I keep salt on all the windowsills and line the doors with it when I go to sleep, I have demon traps on the floor in glow-in-the-dark marker. My house is basically evil-proof, as far as I can tell. I think the demon traps I have are for real, but there's so much out there that's fake."

"Yeah, tell me about it," Sam sighed. "That was my last question. Your turn."

"Alright," she smiled. Then it dropped. "D-did you know that Mom was dead?"

"Emily? No, I didn't. Uh, sorry."

"Last year. Car accident with a drunk driver." She cleared her throat. "Did you know you had a daughter?"

"No, honestly. I wish I had, I could've come to see you, meet you at least."

"That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Now, this is my last question. It's not something you need to answer right now, but keep it in mind at least, please." He nodded and she took a deep breath. "Sam, how do you feel about having a girl join you on the road?"

His jaw dropped. "You want to come?"

She smiled. "I've been bored here since I was born. The only thing that keeps me entertained is dealing with Janice and looking up lore on the internet and in the library."

"Is your research any good?"

"You tell me. What I've found so far is that iron makes ghosts disappear for a few minutes, but to kill them you have to dig up the bones and burn them, after dumping salt all over them."

"Lighter fluid helps too," he added.

"I've never tried to set bones on fire though, I wouldn't know how difficult it is."

He smiled. "Okay. What else do you know?"

She used the rest of the drive to explain what she had found, and though Sam did have to correct her twice, everything else was correct.

When they reached Farrah's house, Sam wasn't surprised at all. It was a small place, but cute. One of the road-liners that you'd see in a neighborhood outside of town.

"Sorry it's such a mess. I don't usually have people over." She blushed a bit and ushered Sam inside after her. "Drink?"

"You have beer?" he shot back almost immediately.

"I'm underage." He started to nod, but then Farrah started to laugh. "I owe nearly everyone in this town favors, I can smuggle a few beers into my house."

Opening the fridge, she pulled a bottle out and handed it over, opting for orange soda herself.

They were talking for so long Sam actually spent the night there.

~

"Dean, I'm telling you, she has the researching skills of me and Bobby put together twice."

"I don't care. She's just some stranger that you met yesterday!"

Sam shifted his weight. "You're always going on about family and blood, but honestly, Dean, do you really care?"

Dean's eyes were sharp. "Yes, I care. I especially care about keeping people that aren't in the life away from it."

"You didn't see her house, man. She's got demon traps everywhere, salt lining every wall and door and window to the outside, iron at her bedside, iron door handles, a gun filled with rock salt. Either she's terrified, or she's prepared. And she didn't seem very scared when I was talking to her."

"So you just want to adopt her into our lives?"

"That's exactly what I want to do. She's talking about stuff I haven't even heard of, Dean. Like how pure gold is like poison to skin-walkers and sugar water stings vampires like holy water does demons."

"So what?" Dean started to pace. Sam wasn't backing down. "There's tons of lore out there."

"Yeah, but I looked it up. She's right."

He stopped and looked up. "What?"

"Farrah did her own research, with no backup evidence to go on, and found things we haven't found. And we've been hunting our whole lives."

Dean sighed. "You're serious about this. You realize this means covering another paper trail, making more fake ids, and buying more food, right? We're barely scraping by as it is!"

"And she has about a million dollars in the bank that Emily left her when she died."

"The kid's rich and she's working as a waitress?"

"She doesn't like spending that money. But she's willing to use it for herself so that we don't have to pay for her."

Dean's eyebrows shot up. "You're both way too into this father-daughter relationship, Sammy."

Sam sighed and sat on his bed in the motel. "C'mon, Dean. Just let her come along for one job, let's see how it is."

Dean sighed. "One."