Chapter 47: Bad Girls Make Plans

Just a little Friday night bonus scene for you...

Mac

Adam and I sit on my old bed, staring down at his phone, re-watching the ultrasound video Samantha emailed us just before she and Sidney left to give me privacy to dress.

"Holy shit, we made a person," I say, my finger tracing the outline of Babycake's beautiful little spine.

Adam makes a strangled laugh. "Fuck yeah, we did."

We sit in silence. Awed.

Adam's voice is soft. "We're gonna be parents. Like, diaper-changing, baby-wearing, no-sleeping parents." He looks at me tenderly. "We ready for that?"

"Absolutely." I mean it. "I can't wait to meet my sweet little man." 

Maybe it's just because he's tired and unwell, but Adam seems...mind-blown. I do the Trace talk/rant-him-down thing. " So here's the plan: we'll make Leed change all the diapers; he'll be good at it by then. You can wear the baby for awhile once he's born, since you're so big and strong. That's fair-- I'm wearing him on the inside for 40 weeks straight. And we don't sleep now, so what does that part matter?"

Adam pushes his forehead to mine and grins against my lips. "Good plan."

I flop back on the bed, pulling him down over me. "Adam, I'm so happy right now, but I can't really feel it. I'm exhausted."

He rests a hand lightly on my barely-baby-bump as he plants a line of kisses down my temple toward my ear.

"I'm happy too. So fucking happy. I know you're tired, Shortcake. And because you are so tired, I'm not even going to argue with you about the fact that Babycakes is totally a baby girl."

"Good," I grin with my eyes closed. "That's a fight to look forward to." I drift, listening to the brek-cack of early morning frogs singing in the trees outside the open window.

"We can't keep doing this, Sweetheart. Stayin' up all night, pushing your body, your limits. You heard what Sidney said. You need more rest and more calories than you are getting. That pretty little parasite inside you will take what she needs—you'll be the one to suffer. We need to announce this pregnancy and make sure everyone in the band, the business, and our families know...all the bullshit takes a backseat."

I breathe evenly while I try to think about what he just said. Adam's right, there's no good reason not to tell now. I'm nearly at the end of the first trimester, and the baby is healthy. I'm practically showing. I won't be able to hide the pregnancy much longer, at least not from the guys. I know Adam wants to tell his family before we go public. It's time. I'm terrified of what happens next professionally, but it's time. 

Time to be brave. For Adam. For Babycakes.

I crack an eye. "Can we take the next few days to ease into it? Maybe announce on Sunday, after church? Didn't you say there would be a Sunday Brunch for just your family and the SCIC?"

Adam's face loses all expression. "For real?"

I reach up and cup his cheek, brushing my thumb across his bottom lip. "Yeah."

The smile that breaks across my lover's face sends my heart into overdrive. Goddamn, this man is not just handsome or hot. He's beautiful. His goodness, his strength, his steadiness, it's all beautiful.

Leaning on an elbow, he runs his other hand beneath my shirt, rubbing my baby belly round and round. "I love you. I love you every way, MacKenna Lawson, but I especially love you just like this. Both of us wrecked and you frizzy-haired in an old ratty t-shirt, letting me touch you while I'm pukish and reaking from last night's show."