The Day Before

~ Author's Note~

I can't warn you enough. This chapter involves TORTURE and mentions of rape! If you can't handle that, wait a week for the next chapter. Keep in mind that this story is rated mature and that I am not forcing you to read this. I did do my best to tone it down in the more triggering part of this chapter, but it's still slightly graphic towards the end.

~Equius' POV~

"Equius?" Darkleer asks. He had been trying to talk to me, but I wasn't listening. "Are you okay?"

I continue to ignore him as he leads Nepeta and I to our rooms. Hopefully he won't separate us again. He already took Signless from me. Will he take Nepeta from me too? More tears come to my eyes at the thought.

Nepeta grabs my hand, saying, "It's okay, Equius."

"No it's not," I say, wiping away indigo tears. "It's really not okay."

"What's wrong?" Darkleer inquires.

"You're going to kill him," I reply with venom dripping from my words.

"If it's any consolation, he should have died a long time ago. Mutants are supposed to be culled shortly after they hatch."

"BUT HE WASN'T!" I shout. "He survived! Doesn't that count for ANYTHING?! Or does his blood color mean more to you people than the fact that he's lived a PEACEFUL life? Or that he's taken care of me when I had NOBODY?!"

He bows his head, a look of shame in his eyes. "I have no more control over this than you do."

I can't help but glare daggers at him. "Who does?"

"The Grand Highblood might be able to do something."

"I guess I just need to speak with him then. Lead the way."

He shows Nepeta to her room, then takes me to see the Grand Highblood.

~Signless' POV~

The guards stop us at a large cell. The Sun Runners have long since left, off to their next assignment most likely. I've fallen to the back of the group. I just feel numb. I hope Equius and Nepeta are okay.

"Hold on a second," one of the guards says as he makes his way over to us. He roughly grabs my arm. "So you're the mutant everyone's been going on about." I just stare blankly at him. What's the point in responding? He'll probably just drag me away and beat me anyways. That's what happens to people waiting to be executed around here. "Not talkative, huh? That's okay. We'll hear your voice one way or another," he laughs. "Won't we, boys?" A few guards join him in laughter. My eyes widen slightly in fear.

"If you hurt him, I swear I'll FRY YOU!" Psii growls from behind the bars of the now locked cell.

I'm only able to send a fearful glance at my matesprit as I'm dragged away. A little way down the hall, one of the guards opens the door to a room, the only walled off part of the dungeon. There's blood everywhere. I thought I was scared before. Now I'm terrified.

I try to take a step away only to be harshly shoved into the room.

~Equius' POV~

"This will start a war and you know it!" shouts a very angry Summoner as he storms out of the throne room. He almost runs into us in his blind rage.

"Summoner," Darkleer states, almost surprised. "What was that all about?"

"You need to talk some damn sense into him," he huffs. "Killing Signless is only going to start a fucking war, but he's too pissed to care! What did he do to get on Highblood's bad side anyways?"