I'm SO Sorry

~Author's Note~

In case you couldn't tell by the title or the look on Signless' face in the chapter cover, this will be a SAD one. Before we get into the chapter itself, there is a trigger warning to go over: police brutality, both attempted and mentioned. This chapter is not meant to be seen as a statement against police brutality, though I am wholeheartedly against it, but just a nod to how brutal Alternia was. Keep in mind that the Sun Runners are technically a branch of law enforcement in this particular story.

Without any further adieu, enjoy the story.

~Signless' POV~

Equius went through six more rounds of the memory game before we had to leave, effectively exhausting him. Despite his exhaustion, he insists he can walk on his own. We've been on the road for about an hour. Nepeta seems to have forgotten that we're technically prisoners, and is running around, having the time of her life. Naturally, me and Disciple are paying more attention to her than Equius.

"Keep moving, kid," a very annoyed Sun Runner commands before I hear a thud and a pained groan a little way behind me. "Get up!"

I look over my shoulder, seeing a Sun Runner standing over Equius, about to kick him. "HEY!" I bark, running over to them. I shove the Sun Runner before she's able to kick him, her Captain close behind. "What's wrong with you?!" I demand, pulling Equius protectively into my arms. "Are you okay?" His only response is to turn his head, hiding his face in my shoulder.

"Donnah!" the Captain chastises. "We are under STRICT orders from Executor Darkleer to leave the children alone. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, ma'am, Captain Ameera!" she salutes as she backs away.

Ameera watches as her subordinate scurries off before turning her attention to Equius and I. "Are you okay?" she asks, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder. Equius does not take that well. He whimpers, trying to get closer to me and farther from her. "I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" she adds, immediately pulling her hand away.

"Please, DON'T touch me," Equius hisses, glancing at her for only a second.

"Are you okay?" I ask again. He just nods, rubbing his eyes. "Tired?" Another nod. "I can carry you, if you want." I get no response this time. "Equius?" Again, no response. He's already sound asleep, his head resting on my shoulder.

Ameera giggles at the admittedly adorable scene before her. "I guess that's your answer," she says as we both stand.

After a few minutes of walking in silence, I have to ask. "Hey, Captain. Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"You said that Executor Darkleer doesn't want Equius and Nepeta to be harmed. Does that mean that they'll be safe?" My eyes don't leave Equius' sleeping face. I know my child more than he thinks I do. He won't take it very well if we get separated once we reach the Capital. This leaves me with a huge decision to make, and her answer might help me decide.

She takes a deep breath before answering. "As far as I can tell, yes. I don't know why, but that man seems to want Equius in particular to stay safe. I haven't the slightest clue why, though."

"His instinct to protect his bloodline, probably."

"Excuse me?"

"Equius and Nepeta are from a few hundred sweeps into the future. From after the death of this world. Darkleer is Equius' ancestor." I finally look up to her. "That's why he wants Equius safe."

I was right, she did help.

~Equius' POV~ (Time skip)

"Equius?" Signless calls, pulling me from a dreamless sleep. "It's time to wake up, my child. We're almost to the Capital."