Chapter 7 .

Lily

Screams came from inside the van. They were in a similar position that my sister had been in, only whereas the zombie's fingers only fit through the door before, this time, the zombie's head fit in and the door was slowly opening as more zombies gathered. Then the zombie's shoulders fit in. More zombie hands reached passed the first zombie as they tried to get inside.

Mrs. Bahena got out of the front door, slammed it closed behind her and began pulling the zombies away from the back seat. Raindrops began to dot the car windshield.

She wouldn't survive like that.

Even as I wondered what to do, Victory rolled down her window and began yelling out her window, "Hey, zombies, over here. Come and get us." She waved her arms out the window. I rolled down my window and began to do the same even as I made sure the car was in drive. My foot was ready to come off the brake and hit the gas at any moment.

Some of the zombies turned and started towards us, but the few that were right in the thick of it ignored us. One of the zombies Mrs. Bahena pulled away from the side door turned around and bit her in the neck. She ignored it and tried to pull the next zombie away from the door, but more zombies came up behind her and bit her from behind. Soon she was pulled to the ground and I could only see her legs lying still on the grass as the zombies continued to swarm her.

The last zombie at the door pulled out the eldest child of the Bahena's - their only daughter. She screamed and struggled to get away, but the zombie bit her in the arm. Molly sprang from the car, bit onto the zombie's arm and began to shake it vigorously. Even then the zombies ignored the dog.

Victory and I continued to yell even as I watched helplessly. The rain began to come down harder and harder in just a matter of moments. A lightning strike hit the group of zombies that were over the still form of Mrs. Bahena. It startled me and the car lurched forward as my foot slipped from the brake to the gas. I immediately hit the brakes again.

The girl tore away from the zombie that bit her. A chunk of her sleeve and flesh was still in its mouth. She got back inside the van. Molly followed her and the van door slid shut just as Hunter backed up out of the driveway with a screech. He hit a zombie on his way. The van paused just long enough for him to shift gears and then he burst forward on the road. I quickly stepped on the gas and followed him. Victory and I rolled up our windows leaving behind the zombies that had almost reached our car.

The rain lightened to a drizzle. We were half a block away from Arthur's house when the van stopped in front of us.

I stopped, put the car in park and reached down for the ax. The zombies hadn't followed our vehicles and there weren't any zombies close to the street in this area - most had ran to the Bahena's when they heard the screaming. The girl had been bit. Had she turned? She wasn't that much younger than Mackenzie. The van was quiet.

Hunter got out from the driver's side. He had the bow and an arrow. He shut his door quietly, went around the back to the passenger side and opened the side door. He reached in and pulled the girl out. He said something to those inside the van, but I couldn't make out what. Then he closed that door quietly and dragged the girl to the back of the van.

Blood ran down her arm and darkened the sleeve of her shirt. She tried to pull his fingers away from her arm, but she couldn't.

"What is he doing?" Mackenzie asked. She and Victory were peeking around the front seats to get a good look. I immediately turned off my headlights.

"Don't look," I instructed them. I looked in the rearview mirror to see Victory hugging my sister. Mackenzie's helmeted head was turned away from the windshield.