chapter eleven: the party's at derek's?

Stiles and I were at his locker when Coach came down the hall with a bullhorn. "Class starts in five minutes. Just because there's no power don't expect there to be no school."

"That was a triple negative. Very impressive, Coach." Stiles said.

"Copy that." He said into the mega phone, making us chuckle.

"Oops!" Stiles said dropping his keys and picking it up by one. "Hello. Where did you come from?"

I was about to ask when the door opened behind us and in came Scott, cause Kira to run in the opposite direction.

"No. No. Stop. Stop." Stiles grabbed him.

"What? I need to talk to her." Stiles said.

"No, you need to remember someone left a coded message telling Barrow to kill her." Stiles said.

"Which is why I need to talk to her." Scott said.

"Scott, no way. Until we figure out if she's just another psychotic monster that's going to start murdering everybody, I vote against any and all interaction." Stiles said, earning an elbow in the ribs from me.

"What if she's like me?" Scott said.

"That girl walked through 1.21 jigawatts of electricity. She's not like you." I said, closing Stiles' locker and walking away.

As I rounded the corner I hit into someone, dropping all my books.

"Crap, I am so sorry." Isaac said.

"Oh, hey." I smiled, bending down to pick up my books.

"Let me help." He said, bending down and knocking his head into mine sending me flat on my butt.

"Okay, ow." I laughed. "Rough morning?"

"Uh, weird night." He said and I raised an eyebrow. "I was at Allison's and her dad came in the room and then things got weird."

"Oh." I said, my heart aching a little.

"Yeah." He said.

"Well, I'm gonna be late for Bio." I said.

"Let me walk you." He said, standing up.

"No thanks, I'll see you later." I said, walking into my class and sitting down.

Of course, he likes Allison. Why wouldn't he? Allison's beautiful, and smart, and badass. I'm just-- me.

I went through the day in a daze and after school I barely stepped out of geometry when my brother grabbed me. 

"What the hell?" I said.

"Scott needs us."

Stiles and I raced home to grab his copy of the key cards to the police station and then we drove there as soon as it was dark to meet up with Scott and Kira.

"Okay, this one will get you into all of the perimeter doors, this one into the evidence room, and this one's for my father's office." Stiles said.

"You didn't steal these, did you?" Scott asked.

"No. I cloned them using the RFID emulator." Stiles said.

"Is that worse than stealing?" Scott asked.

"It's smarter" I said.

"Scott, can I ask you something?" Kira said, pulling him away.

"Okay, I'll just..." Stiles trailed off as we waited for them. "Okay. So, now almost everybody's out dealing with the blackout. But there's always somebody at the front desk. There's Dispatch and usually a night shifter or two. You guys are gonna use the service door entrance by the dumpster. All right? Nobody uses it. Now, I'll text you if anyone comes out. But, Scott, if you get caught, I can't help you. Our dad's under investigation for an impeachment because of your dad, so, if anything happens we will run and leave you both for dead."

"Got it. Thanks. Seriously, dude." Scott said.

"We'd ask our dad, but you know..."  I said.

"No, I know. I get it." Scott said.

"All right, just, uh, hurry up." Stiles said and they ran in.

"I know you come up with a lot of dumb ideas, this has to be your dumbest."

"Yep." My brother said and began fidgeting with his keys

Suddenly a car pulled up and out came Agent McCall.

"Ah, hell." I said.

"Come on, Scott." My brother tapped the wheel.

"Okay, I'm so going to regret this." I said, jumping out of the Jeep.

"Brooke! Brooke! Aw!" My brother said chasing me in to catch up with Scott's dad right outside the door to my dad's office.

"Hey, hey. Wow! Thank God you are here. Oh, boy! Thank the lord." MY brother said.

"What do you want, Stiles?" McCall said.

"Oh, jeez!" He stammered. "I was just... I was thinking on the case. I was thinking I should clue you in on my thinking. Here's my thinking. I was thinking this... I was thinking that Barrow, right... I was thinking that Barrow received the information about who to kill at the school, right, you know that? So I was thinking maybe the person who gave him that information, check this out, might actually be someone at the school. And that's, uh, my thinking." My brother said.

"Hmm." McCall hummed to himself. "You're right."

"I am?" He said.

"He is?" I asked.

"Yep. We, uh... We started looking for links between Barrow, faculty and students last night." McCall said.

"So you already, then, know that stuff?" My brother said.

"You already thought of that." I said.

"Your dad did." He said, swiping his card.

"Oh." My brother said.

"His one useful suggestion." McCall said, trying to push past us.

"You know--" I said, stepping infront of him. "--this attitude that you have toward my dad? You can dress it up to all the professional disapproval that you want. But I know the real reason why you don't like him." I said.

McCall chuckled smugly under his breath, "Is that so?"

"Yeah. Because he knows something that you don't want him to know. And guess what." I paused. "We know it, too."

McCall stopped for a second, taken aback by my words.

"Go home, Stilinski's. There's a... There's a curfew." He said, going in the office as my brother and I walked out.

"Hey, that was pretty badass." Stiles said.

"Yeah? I guess it was." I said as we reached the Jeep and Kira and Scott came running out.

"We did it. All the pics deleted." Scott said with a smile.

"That was awesome!" She said, gaining a surprised reaction from my brother and I. "I mean, terrifying. Completely terrifying... But kind of awesome. I've never done anything like that before. Have you?"

"Yeah, once or twice." I said.

"Hmm." My brother hummed.

"So, I guess I should take you home." Scott said handing Kira his spare helmet when my phone started ringing.

"Isaac?" I answered skeptically and Stiles whipped his head around.

"Hey, you don't want to go to a party, would you?" He asked.

"Meet you there." I smiled, hanging up the phone.

"No, no. Brooke, I hate him. He is useless." Stiles said.

"Mhm." I smiled getting in the Jeep.

"You will not." He said.

"To Derek's."

"The party's at Dereks?" Stiles said and I nodded. "Oh god."