38.5 | between.

*if you decided to skip the last chapter, totally understandable. Basically what happened is, and I hate to sound so blunt, but Ramona tried to kill herself. If you didn't infer that already.

• a further note, this chapter is weird. I'm well aware of the fact that you're probably going to be cringing at the beginning. But bear with me. I don't disappoint. :))

>> also, and this is just a fun little suggestion, you don't have to do this at all, but if you go to the top right of your screen and click the 'Aa' icon and change your pages to black for this chapter, you might have some fun ;)) just a highly suggested suggestion

-

Black.

It's all that I can see.

It's the air around me. It's the world out in the distance. It's black. Nothing but an endless hole.

I'm laying down, I believe, on a hard surface. I'm uncomfortable, and my back has started to ache.

I'm not aware of being able to move. I don't know if I can. I don't know if I want to.

There's something terrifying about the silence of the space around me. My brain can't process it. It's like the empty abyss around me is suffocating. My memory is fuzzy, and as I gather the strength to lift up my arms, I realize that I'm alive.

I look at the skin on my hands, the ghostly flesh feeling cool and stiff the the touch. And it hits me. It hits like a slap in the face that makes my gut heave and my body shoot up. I'm not alive.

"Hello?"

I call out into the blackness as I feel my mind catch up with the quick movements I'm making. But I hear nothing. Not even an echo.

I move my arms to feel my pulse, to try and get some idea of where I am.

"Hello?!"

I shoot up into a standing position amongst the blackness when I realize that I have no pulse. I'm not alive, and if this is hell, then I'm not ready.

But now that I'm standing, I can feel that I'm not really rooted in anything. The ground beneath me is blackness. It's nothing but an abyss, and I feel the air around me catch in my throat as I realize that I'm nowhere. I'm everywhere, but I'm nowhere. My eyes are wide open, and yet I see nothing. Nothing but blackness.

"Where—" My words hitch in my throat and come out as a mere croak against the blackness.

I take a step forwards as I feel the air shift. It almost feels like the world, or wherever I am, is flipping around and swirling before my eyes.

The next thing I know, my body is pushed to the ground by a force I can't explain. It's like a strong gust of wind that hits me from behind, and my feet fall from underneath me as the blackness turns still once again.

I let out a breathless groan as I feel my face fall onto the ground below with a thump. But the ground feels different this time. It's a hollow sort of thump, and when I open my eyes I see that the ground has turned to glass.

It's brighter now, as the world below shines into the darkness of wherever I am. But it's not bright enough to tell me exactly what's beyond the darkness, and the dark hole I'm in is still black for as far as my eye can see.

And the glass isn't just glass. It's showing something bright below, some kind of light that my eyes are slowly adjusting to.

My eyes squint and slowly adapt to the bright light below the glass, and once the world underneath me has revealed itself, I feel my insides turn to mush.