chapter four | bittersweet.

When we reach the courtroom, the men who were upstairs before are now waiting outside of the courtroom doors.

"Ray!" Mason jumps up from the chair he's sitting in and runs to me.

"Woah, bug," I say with a chuckle. "I was only gone for a few minutes."

He smiles and hugs me tightly.

"I know."

I see Owen stand up and exchange nervous glances with Jean.

I hope he sees our bond and attachment. I hope he sees what he's doing to us. And I hope he hates himself for it.

"Are they ready for us?" Jean asks.

Man Number Two checks his watch.

"I believe so."

"Alright then," Jean begins. "Mason, you'd better go with Owen."

Mason pulls away from me and shakes his head as if Jean's statement was an optional order.

"No thanks. I think I'd rather go with Ray."

"Mason," Jean scolds, looking down on him with stern eyes. "Go with Owen."

He frowns and juts out his bottom lip in protest.

"Why?"

The awkward and rejected appearance on Owen's face is the best thing I've seen all day. I have to bite my tongue to keep from laughing at him and his uncertainty.

Jean gives Mason the don't-fucking-try-me-right-now-stare, which causes Mason to back off and reluctantly wander over to Owen, who's looking uncomfortable as hell.

Suffer, you asswipe. 

After another moment we enter into the large courtroom, and immediately my eyes are drawn to the old, wrinkled woman at the judge's podium.

There are large windows covering the right wall of the room and rows of chairs towards the back, along with two tables on opposite sides in front of the judge.

The amount of wood in the room almost gives me a forest-cabin vibe, reminding me of last year when Luis and his family took me up north to spend the weekend in their family cabin. It was back when I was actually in a good foster home and didn't have to give up my already-dry social life to take care of my brother. Not that I mind, because I don't. I love Mason.

Mason and I are seated on two different sides of the room, each with a different group of men surrounding us. Walter sits on Owen and Mason's side, along with Jean.

The only person on my side is one of the suit guys that I never cared to learn the name of. I guess everyone's against me here. It doesn't matter what I say; Mason is leaving.

The judge begins her announcements, which quiets the conversation that Jean and Walter were having.

"Current date, Friday, the 20th of January..."

She does her introductory phrases, like introducing our case and stating our names. Finally, she finishes the painfully long introductions.

"I have looked over the contracts given to me by Mr. Reynolds and Mr. Williams. I have to say, I am pleased with how smoothly things are going—"

Just then, the door bursts open to reveal a tired Marta hurrying into the room.

I laugh internally; only she would be late to court. It's hilarious how irresponsible she is.
The judge sighs and waits for her to take a seat beside me.

"Punctuality is important, Mrs. Shay."

"I apologize, Your Honor."

She seems to be sober for the first time in her life.