chapter twenty two | vertigo.

**Trigger Warning**

~

Owen said I can go back to school on Monday.

Apparently, he wants to wait until my ribs heal a little more. I tried to protest and claim that I was fine, but Owen didn't want to hear any of it. He told me it wasn't up for debate and left me to pout in the guest room like a child that didn't get to eat dessert.

I was actually really pissed at him for that—and I still am. But I had to let it go, otherwise my anger probably would've taken over.

But what I especially hated was that he tried to act like a parent when he did that. He can't just come into my life like this and expect me to respect him. 

Also, I went into the bar and told Joseph I quit.

I tried to get Victoria to quit with me, but she refused. I remember the look of desperation and betrayal on her face as I walked out of the bar, and how sad she seemed.

I feel horrible, but at the same time, she had her chance.

She could've walked out with me, but she didn't. And I'm trying incredibly hard not to hate myself for leaving her, especially when I swore I wouldn't.

But I can't take working there anymore. I just can't. Not to mention, I would face serious consequences from Jean if I hadn't quit.

Also, not having spending money is going to suck, but it's not like I have expenses to pay anymore now that Owen's paying for Mason's daycare.

Other than that, these last few days have actually been pretty boring. Owen and Mason are gone during the day; Owen at work and Mason at school.

Luis is the only lifeline I have to connect me to the outside world. I call him every day during his free period to check in with how things are going at school.

Every time I try to ask about Jasper, though, all I get is an audible eye roll.

"It matters to me!" I shriek through the phone as I lay in bed on Friday morning.

"If Jasper really wanted to talk you, he'd text you. He. Is. Not. A. Good. Guy." Luis states dramatically over the phone.

"You don't know him like I do. Your opinion is biased because you already hate him."

My heart flutters at the thought of kissing him again. The way he held me and the way he moved his lips with mine has made me crave him intensely as each passing day goes by.

"Okay. Whatever you say, sweetie," he teases mockingly through the phone.

"What about you and your boyfriend? Jack, was it?" I ask in an attempt to change the subject.

"Oh yeah," Luis comments, although he doesn't sound too eager to talk about his new boo-thing. "Well, he's not technically my boyfriend. We're not, like, exclusive."

"Why not?" I ask, staring up at the white ceiling as I relax on the guest room bed.

"I like him. I just don't know if we're ever going to be exclusive."

"Why? If you really like him, be exclusive."

He sighs, and a shuffling noise stars up on his end of the line.

"I'm gonna go," he says flatly.

"Oh, okay. Bye, I guess."

"Yeah, bye."

The call ends, but the phone lingers over my ear for a few more seconds. He seemed upset when I asked about being exclusive with Jack, which I don't understand at all. If Luis really likes him, I don't see why they shouldn't be exclusive.