chapter Five - New sides

I was speechless. So speechless, in fact, that even at school the following Monday, I was still walking around with a hanging jaw. Tyler practically came to the dance to make sure I didn't dance with any other guys and had a dance with him. I couldn't decide if the gesture was offensive or flattering - Hence the hanging jaw.

"You know you're the talk of the school right?" Hayden's amused voice sounded from behind my locker.

I sighed and closed my locker. "Hello. Yeah, I kind of figured it out on the way here. It's pretty hard not to notice when people are looking in your direction and whispering at the same time. I don't know why though... Anyway, how was your weekend?" I asked, smiling.

"It was great. Yours?" he grinned.

"It was good. My sister's back so I had to play with her Barbie dolls for the majority of the weekend but I'm used to it. You know, I'm pretty surprised you're talking to me. I thought you were scared of Tyler or something."

Hayden's eyes widened. "Who isn't? The guy is like my idol though. I don't know he does it. Every guy admires him here. But you've got something about you that just can't keep me away. You're friendly." Hayden's grin returned which made me smile.

"Aw, thank you. So are you! If Tyler does end up coming back or threatening you though, tell me and I'll deal with him. I'll punch him!" I said fiercely.

Hayden studied me for a few seconds before bursting out in laughter. My punching moves died down as I looked at him. "What? What did I do?"

"YOU- Y-" He started laughing even harder and I frowned. "Me what!"

"YOU PUNCH HIM? I CAN'T EVEN-" His laughter became even louder and I frowned even more.

"What? Why can't I punch him? I'm strong!" I demanded. "Look!" I punched his arm as hard as I could and Hayden stopped laughing.

"Ouch. You hurt me." He said in a monotone. Rubbing his arm.

I fist pumped the air and pulled my tongue out at him. "See! Told ya!" I grinned.

He started to laugh again. "I was being sarcastic! Your punch felt like someone trying to tickle me!" he laughed even more and my grin instantly dropped.

"I'm strong!" I exclaimed.

"Okay, okay, you're strong." Hayden said, patting my head.

I started to smile then realized he was being sarcastic. "You're so mean to me!" I pouted. He started laughing and slug an arm around my shoulders. "And you're so naive. Come on, let's go."

"HEY BLONDIE!" Damien's voice reached my ears before I could see him. I turned around, confused, and didn't find him behind us either.

"Emma, did you not see him the first time? He's right in front of us with James." Hayden chuckled.

"Where-" I started to turn back around and was engulfed in a bone crushing hug. "EMMA YOU LOOKED SO HOT ON FRIDAY!" James exclaimed while lifting me up and rocking me side to side.

"James - Can't breathe-" I managed to get out.

"Oh! Sorry! But I missed your cute little innocent self. I-"

"Get lost she's my friend!" Damien exclaimed shoving James away roughly and grinning at me. "Hey bebe." He grinned, while waggling his eyebrows and flexing his arm muscles.

I laughed at his funny accent then frowned. "Damien! Don't be mean to James. You're both my friends!"

"I'm the better one though." James grinned.