:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 16

"So tell me what you're doing here again?"

I sighed, slumping back into my seat. We were back in the employee lounge again. Oliver sat next to me on the couch while my uncle sat across from us, a frown on his face.

"I told you, I'm not here to drink. I'm here to work... or more precisely, train."

My uncle turned his eyes to Oliver, who was jiggling his foot with impatience. "Is this true, Mr. Fox?"

Oliver nodded. "We're short on staff, so I asked her to help."

"You know she's seventeen, right?"

I stared at my uncle in shock. "What are you doing?"

"Harley, he can't lie about your age to his parents. This is different from school since this is a bar."

"I already know," Oliver responded, rolling his eyes.

My uncle pursed his lips at me. "Harley-"

"He found out by accident," I cut my uncle off. "He's keeping my secret, so I'm helping him at the bar."

"And your parents are okay with this?" my uncle asked, turning back to Oliver again.

"As I said, we are understaffed," Oliver responded a little bit rudely. "They know her age, and my dad is fine with it."

"You do realize Harley has a lot to handle, right? She has to teach all day, and then go home to care for her brother."

I shot my uncle a warning look. "I can take care of myself."

"I never said you couldn't..."

"Uncle Rob, please, I can handle this job," I told him. If I couldn't, Oliver might spill my secret. Which would be worse than having to work a few hours more a few nights a week.

He sighed. "I know you can handle it. I'm just not sure how I feel about my seventeen year old niece working at a bar..."

"I'll be fine!" I protested. "Uncle Rob, I want to help out!"

Oliver glanced at me, looking the slightest bit surprised. I frowned back at him. It wasn't a total lie. Anthony seemed really nice, and if they were understaffed I didn't have a problem helping out.

He nodded. "I'll have a chat with Anthony... but Harley, if it becomes too much for you to handle, I want you to take it easy."

I grinned at my uncle, swinging my arm like a sailor. "I'll be okay."

"And if I ever catch you drinking, you will be in a lot of trouble," he warned, narrowing his eyes. "You can bet Will is going find out."

"I won't drink," I promised him, frowning. "I'm not that irresponsible."

"Oliver, you better make sure of it."

Oliver rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"No, not 'whatever'," my uncle responded, narrowing his eyes. "If I think Harley shouldn't be working here, I'm making her quit."

"Who are you? Her father?" Oliver shot at him, scowling

"I'm the closest thing-"

"Rob!"

My uncle looked at me in surprise. I narrowed my eyes at him, narrowing the lump that was suddenly in my throat. I cleared my throat before talking. "Oliver's right. You're not my dad. I appreciate your concern, but I can handle myself."

"Harley..."

"Don't you have to go talk to Anthony?" I asked brusquely.

My uncle stared at me for a moment before sighing. "I know you like to think you can handle yourself Harley, and I'm not saying you can't, but you do need some adult guidance in your life..."