:Believe Me, I'm Lying: 3

"Hello Harley, this is Sarah Goyle from Super Saver calling about your job application."

My ears perked up and I turned my answering machine's volume up a few notches. Hopefully this was a good message.

"We're sorry, but I'm afraid we are looking for someone a little older and more experienced for-"

Scowling, I slammed my finger down on the delete button. That was the fourth store to call and say they were looking for someone older and more experienced. How experienced did you have to be to hit a few stupid buttons on a cash register? I had seen teenagers younger than me working there!

"Pig?"

I swiveled around in my chair, glaring at my brother. "I told you not to..." I trailed off when I noticed the expression on his face. My gaze softened and I stood up, walking towards him.

He sniffled as I approached, rubbing his eyes. I knelt down beside him and put my hands on his little shoulders.

"What's wrong, El?"

"I had a dream about mommy and dad," he relayed to me, sniffling again. "Pig, I want to see them."

"Oh, Elliot," I sighed, gathering him in my arms. "I've told you, you can't see them anymore."

"Because they've gone somewhere better?"

I nodded, rubbing his back soothingly. "Yes, but don't forget they are always watching over you."

"I miss them," he told me, sounding like he was about to cry again.

"I miss them too," I responded, my chest constricting. "But we need to stay strong for them, okay? No more crying, okay?"

Sometimes when Elliot started crying, I ended up crying too, and it was just one big mess. But so far, I had gone two months without crying over my parent's death. Elliot still cried once in awhile, but that was to be expected. My mom had been right; he was too young for this.

I felt Elliot nod against me. I pulled away from him and poked his forehead. He frowned at me for a moment, putting a hand to his forehead.

"I heard you were on fire."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "What? I'm not on fire..."

"Will was talking on the phone and said you got on fire."

Now I was even more confused. "No... I never caught on fire. I don't know what he's talking about. What else did Will say?"

"Your job?" Elliot asked, more than stated.

"Oh!" I said with realization. "He said I was fired to someone on the phone?"

Elliot nodded, his eyes widening fearfully. "So you were on fire?"

I shook my head quickly. "No, no, being fired is different then being on fire."

Elliot looked confused and I sighed. I didn't have the patience to explain everything to him, so I decided to change the subject.

"Forget about it. Are you hungry? You slept in rather late today," I commented, leading him to the kitchen.

"I want eggs," he told me, climbing onto a chair at the table.

"Just eggs?"

"Toast."

"Alright," I responded, walking over to the fridge and opening it.

I searched the fridge until my eyes landed on the egg carton. I pulled it out, along with the milk, setting them on the kitchen table. Elliot watched me as I went to the cupboard and took out a bowl to scramble the eggs in.